General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

'96 Z28 - Loud bang, noises, and leaking oil.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '96 Z28 - Loud bang, noises, and leaking oil.

This morning I broke something in the engine. Here's the story:

Sunday morning (4/12):
I started my car and immediately after it started, there was a loud bang and the car shook. The engine stayed running but was making a loud clanking/popping noise. I turned it off and let it sit for a minute. I started it again, but without the bang. However, the clanking/popping noise remained. I let it run and it slowly faded away after a minute or two. Then it ran like a champion for the rest of the day as well as the following day.

This morning (4/14):
It started and ran fine for half of my trip to work. Then after a stoplight, I took a left turn and gave it a little throttle (half-way or so, not full-throttle). It hit about 4K RPMs and it had another loud bang, similar to the one I heard/felt on 4/12. It immediately started smoking and making the clanking/popping noises, but louder this time. They weren't going away either. I pulled over as soon as I could. I checked the engine bay and couldn't see anything unusual. I took a look under the car and saw a decent-sized puddle of oil. It was still slowly dripping when I left it this morning.

As of now I plan on having it towed and diagnosed in a repair shop. I'm prepared for the worst. Thoughts?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Teching In

I'm no mechanic but it sounds bad. A rod maybe. Sorry to hear.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

That's what I'm afraid of...