Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Constant power source inside cabin?

Old 04-15-2009, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Constant power source inside cabin?

Hi all, will be wiring up some halo's tomorrow and I need to know where I can piggy-back some always-on power from inside the cabin near the drivers seat.

Here's what I want to do:
Illuminate some lights (through a switch) while the car and other lights are off. This is so I can have the halos on while at a car meet but have the rest of the lights on the car remain off. The switch will be within reach of the drivers position, so anywhere between drivers side console (behind HVAC controls) or inside the glovebox is cool.

Here's what I have:
1999 Firebird hardtop no-TCS/ASR

I have the whole interior gutted right now for a couple different projects. What colors and sets of wires can I tap into for constant power? I don't want to lose any cigarette lighter functionality.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Use the quick-connect port marked BATT in the fuse panel. It is a 15-amp constant power circuit designed by GM for adding aftermarket accessories. There are also IGN and ACCY ports for adding ignition controlled accessories.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What he said ^^^^^ Or..... you can grab it from the red wire in the ignition harness. Just make sure to use a multi-meter and fuse the conection!

Search this Thread