Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

%#&! (not happy)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default %#&! (not happy)

It looks like the TSP motor has gone bye bye... I'm a little disappointed, Well actually I'm alot disappointed. I haven't even got 5,000 miles out of it yet . I was deployed all last year, came home and put about 2000 easy miles on her (no racing or track time) and this morning when I go to start it, it immediately started knocking so I shut her down and coolant started spewing somewhere out of the block on the passenger side of the oil pan. I only got a chance to pull the passenger side valve cover before the toe rig showed up. The springs looked amazing, everything was tight. I couldn't find the source of the leak while the car was in my driveway. I have no tools here, just basic hand tools. Hopefully the shop will figure out what the deal is. So, anybody in the Tampa bay area wanna help with a pending motor swap?!!

Its extremely frustrating because she was running so well up until this morning. Oh well, I guess its life. I'll find out more tonight on the extent of the damage. I'm guessing maybe since its been 2 or 3 days since it was last started, its possible that a small head gasket leak filled up a cylinder and caused this to happen? Its killing me not knowing officially. Guess I'll have to wait.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

that sux dude sorry to hear it! good luck with a speedy recovery!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

If the problem wasn't caused by you, hope TSP does well on it and helps you out with a replacement engine.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I would be pissed, especially if I didn't even get to race it or anything yet.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

I doubt it's anything TSP did. I built the top end, and the oiling parts. You guys know how that goes. It seems that the number 4 cylinder was the culprit. Hydrolock is a bitch. It put a 4 inch crack in the block leaking coolant into the oiling system and all over the ground. I'm just not sure why and where and how I got the leak. I mean, the car was running flawless 4 days ago. I'm not running FI or anything crazy. It just sucks. I think I'm going to go ahead and let the shop take care of it. I've never let anybody touch that car except for me, but I think i've had it. I feel like its my fault. I guess if I let someone else do it and it fails I can blame them lol.

It looks like we will be able to reuse most of the parts, minus the block and at least 1 of the pistons/rods, so thats good. We'll know more tomorrow in terms of that. I'll try to post pics when I get them. Anybody have a better option than a rebuild? Its going to cost roughly 12-1600 to machine a new block and fit th eold parts in there. I'm open to suggestions.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So many engines going down lately from hydrolocking the number 4 cylinder. Did it rain hard recently? Have heard of a few buddies engines blowing from water leaking past injector seal on #4 and hydrolocking.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
So many engines going down lately from hydrolocking the number 4 cylinder. Did it rain hard recently? Have heard of a few buddies engines blowing from water leaking past injector seal on #4 and hydrolocking.
If water can leak past the injector seal, then so can air. I'll bet their engines were running like **** before they blew up.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Oddly, it poured here yesterday... But I never drove the car. Its pretty tight and everything on top was buttoned down. So, I doubt that was it. It sat for a couple days. I think the only explanation is a leaky head gasket.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Isnt it possible the injector stuck open? Pull that injector and see if anything looks odd.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Stuck open? It was Instantaneous with initial start up. As soon as it turned over once, I knew something was seriously wrong. So, I doubt it was an injector. Like I said, its NA so i'm not pushing THAT much fuel.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

If it was stuck open all the fuel from the rail could have drained into the cylinder while it was sitting for those few days.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sman
If it was stuck open all the fuel from the rail could have drained into the cylinder while it was sitting for those few days.
X2.......this can and does happen, I have seen it several times myself.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say by a Iron 6.0 from scoggin dicky for 700 bucks and use the rotating assembly that you all ready have should be a nice 370 ci. I think the price u pay for machining would offset the price for the 6.0 new. Oh and everything off your motor will button right up except one altanator bolt.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sman
I'll have them look at the injectors. Those were put in a couple months ago when I had the car re-tuned by a shop here in Tampa. I suppose that is more logical than the head gasket theory.... Interresting

I would like to do the 370, I'm just not too sure how soon he could get that block. Its my daily driver and I have to be back in TN by next Wed. He's got an alum. 6.0 at the shop that we could drop in, but I'm not sure on the details of the motor at this time. I will know more about options once we tear into the block today.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zakk101WS6
I'll have them look at the injectors. Those were put in a couple months ago when I had the car re-tuned by a shop here in Tampa. I suppose that is more logical than the head gasket theory.... Interresting

I would like to do the 370, I'm just not too sure how soon he could get that block. Its my daily driver and I have to be back in TN by next Wed. He's got an alum. 6.0 at the shop that we could drop in, but I'm not sure on the details of the motor at this time. I will know more about options once we tear into the block today.

I would DEFINITELY want to find the root cause of your problem before throwing another engine in there and having it happen again..
Old 04-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Most definately. We'll get it figured out. Thanks for the ideas guys.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

How do I tell if the injecter was stuck open? Isn't it possible that the injector could have closed up after the damage was done?
Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zakk101WS6
How do I tell if the injecter was stuck open? Isn't it possible that the injector could have closed up after the damage was done?
I would contact one of the site fuel injection sponsors (FICINJECTORS) and tell them the situation. They should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

just wondering, what head gasket did you use?
Old 04-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

just wondering, what head gasket did you use?

Not sure. Whichever ones TSP sent with the entire package. I think just the stock style GM's. They were not MLS's.

I just came back from the shop, looks like (due to time constraints) I will have to go with a slightly used (stock) 6.0L LQ4 and just bolt on the rest of my crap. Not too crazy about that, but I do not have many other options since I need the vehicle by Wednessday to get back to Ft. Campbell. The builder will back the motor for 12,000 miles/1 year.

It sucks, I was this close to saying screw it, and getting the iron 408.... But I really need the car by next week, and it would have been close to 3 G's more with a three week wait. The wife would have supported it, but I would have felt like an *** pouring another 6 grand into the car after last years fiasco. Anyway, I will have new numbers next week (yay...).

We are going to have the injectors flow tested/matched. The heads will have a clean up pass at least, possibly milled a tad more to get closer to 11:1. All in all, everything should work out great. Just a bummer because the old set up was really running strong, and just barely broke in!! I'm getting upset again just thinking about it. I'll keep y'all posted...

-Z