Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Turbo or Supercharger?
Turbocharger
59.18%
Supercharger
40.82%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharger vs Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Supercharger vs Turbocharger

Curious to know which you prefer and why?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been in cars with procharger ,lt1 with p1sc and ls1 with d1sc.Been in cars with turbo. My talons and my twin turbo ta and sts ls1 and sts lt1.

Had bbc in past with 6.71 roots type blower.

I like all power adders all lhave their pros and cons. There have been many many threads on this in this forum.
Both power adders add power. They have different power curves and feel to them.
Roots and twin screw supers make big torque very low down ,this can make them very hard to hook up. Twin screw types stay pretty strong up thru the range. Roots type tend to fall off at the top of the rpm band.

Centrificals come in different. They are dependent on rpm. So you might get 2 pounds at 2000, 4 at 4000, 6 at 6000 type of thing. This can help with traction ,still works pretty good but you get less area under the curve and different powerband from say a turbo that is all in at 3000 and holds it max boost to redline. Turbos win hands down for area under the curve and overally efficiency.
Turbos can also cause some good traction problems when they spool up but you can also more easily turn boost up or down with a turbo car and ramp it in according to say gear ,etc to help with traction.

Supers can be a bit easier for install, especially if they use their own oil supply and don't require water lines either. Turbos are a bit more complex install. Reliabilty should be similar between both types assuming quality parts.

I like the sound of my turbos a lot..the spool up sound is very jetlike. F16 eagle sounds!
Supers have more of a whine sound. I did like the big roots blower sound in my old BBC car. The prochargers sound not too bad .Some of the older models had bit of annoying gear noise at idle. Didn't really listen to the newer atis to see if they still have that.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On this forum the answer will be turbos hands down.

The real answer is that they each have pros/cons as you were just told. It just depends on what you are wanting out of it.

For max power the turbos do win though.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had two different twin turbo kits. Sold both and if I go FI again, it will be procharger.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:25 PM
11Second Club

From what I've seen, turbos aren't worth the hassle. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I see people and talk to people who deal with them quite a bit. At the track it's always something with them not spooling on the line or not making the boost you want. On street cars it always seems to be some sort of oiling problem or whatnot. They are definitely the way to go for performance, but I just don't have it in me to deal with the headaches.

I went with the Procharger, and I think I made a good choice (for me). The performance is there when you wind it up, but the car still drives like stock when you're putting around town. I'm not real fond of the sound or lack of low-end torque, but the install was easy, it should last a long time, and it doesn't give me any headaches.

It's all about what you want. If you want simplicity and low-end torque, you get the twin screw. If you want simplicity and top end power, you get the centrifugal. If you are willing to put a little more into it and want the best performance, you go turbo.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for your replies. I have a turbo on my Camaro and my Cobra has the super, but it might be getting a twin upgrade.
I like the turbo numbers and effieciency when compared to superchargers, but the low end grunt is fun in and around town. just trying to get opinions of why or why not on the different set ups.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I expected to see an old out dated thread from years ago. Boy was I wrong. It is entirely dependent on what you want and what you run! More info needed. Street car or strip car? Race car? ETC?
Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

both are fun, period. everyone has their own niche. Either way when someone rolls up on you and says no fair you have a V8 with a _______. You can laugh and smoke off on them
Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't go wrong with either choice.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Bigger engines can spool up properly sized turbos very quickly. Giving you lots of low around around town. And of course you can downshift in higher gears as well .Going up thru the gears is when you see more difference from the turbos against the centrificals.
Twin screws are kind of the best of both but sometimes there super low end torque is a bit problematic and still are not seeing the extreme power levels with twin screws that you see with turbos.

But as said I like all the power adders ,like blondes,redheads and brunettes..all good!
Turbos supers and nitrous..all good..
Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Turbo for the max effort race car. Centri for the street car. In higher HP the traction is too hard to control on the street in a turbo car beacuse of how hard it comes on. Some people have made it work but the % is not in your favor. Centris are much more controlled in how they come on and therefor traction is easier to find.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Make power now

worry about traction later

Get a turbo
Old 04-16-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

risk v reward. Superchargers have less risk and don't have the steep power slope. Turbos have lots of risk and lots of reward.

I prefer turbo but that's only because I love the way it pulls. Although, if my car wasn't turbo (stock) I would probably go the SC route. But I also consider <12psi "low boost."
Old 04-16-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1x2
On this forum the answer will be turbos hands down.

The real answer is that they each have pros/cons as you were just told. It just depends on what you are wanting out of it.

For max power the turbos do win though.
So far the pole is tied. I think it will stay relatively close. I like both for diff reasons but lean more to turbos. Hope to put twins in the cobra soon.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by crf538
Make power now

worry about traction later

Get a turbo
Eh, power is absolutely worthless without traction. I say build the car from the rear forward.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

I can't understand if you have a turbo camaro and you have a super mustang why you would even consider going turbo on the mustang. Both are fun and both are good and you already know that. Guess didn't look more closely at your sig. You already know the answers to your own question.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

I can't believe superchargers are winning, that wont last long lol. I loved my D1 set-up and could not of had better results with what I spent. For the new build I had to go blower again. One day if I have too much money I don't know what to do with, I would love to give the turbo route a try as well.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nitrous

for us poor folk!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about turbocharger AND a supercharger?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I REALLY dig the roots and screw type superchargers for the always predictible ruthless streetable power. I went with a centrifugal on my car because the install hassles of the roots/screw blowers in a 4th gen fbody application.
I like the turbo in my '97 Eclipse GST. But I think -as do a lot of others here- the install hassles just aren't worth it for a street vehicle. Full out race vehicle, I can see it. I do love the sound and power of a properly installed turbo system though.
I agree with "Trust" in that we should buid our cars from the drivetrain up though. But that requires a lot more planning and forsight than a lot of us have. lol

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs Turbocharger