Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

PowderCoating Rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowderCoating Rotors...

I just received my rotors/pads from tech member Stroker396@APF or sponsor Auto Parts Firm, it was a great transaction, price, and product. Much better than they appear in my picture

Here is what I have:

I would like to powder coat or paint the hub center on these rotors black. Similair to the Baer Eradispeeds. Any thoughts?

Would this require powdercoating or would an epoxy caliper paint work?

Here is what I am looking for:
Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get them powder coated and then turned a few thousandths. . .
Old 04-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Agreed with the PC, there is a guy on fbody.com "4Birdman" who does PC so as long as no other sponsors do it here. Always try a sponsor here 1st.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

I will definitely search for a sponsor first, as I did when buying the rotor/pad setup.

When you say "get them turned a few thousandths", what exactly does that mean. Do I take them to any brake shop? or is that done where there PC'd? Sorry guys I really don't know...
Old 04-17-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

silver ghost he is a member and a sponsor his work is sick!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

powder coat the entire rotor NEW, then take the rotor and have it turned to remove the powder coat on the braking surface. this leaves the powder coating on the bolt area.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blkZmaro
I will definitely search for a sponsor first, as I did when buying the rotor/pad setup.

When you say "get them turned a few thousandths", what exactly does that mean. Do I take them to any brake shop? or is that done where there PC'd? Sorry guys I really don't know...

I recomend Sean(silverghost)...
His recommedation when I looked into doing the same thing, was that he would coat the whole rotor(easier for him, and makes a better final product) then to get the PC off everything but the hat("turning a few thousandths"), you need to get the rotors turned so there isn't any PC left on the braking surface.... But I ended up going with rotors that aren't supposed to be turned..
If you have slotted/drilled...whatever rotors I do not recomed doing this..

Yes anyone who knows how to PROPERLY use a lathe can do it for you, just because someone has a lathe at their brake shop does NOT mean they know how to turn a rotor
Old 04-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NebWS6
If you have slotted/drilled...whatever rotors I do not recomed doing this..
The picture in the post is the new rotors. So yes, they are slotted/drilled. Why would you not recommend it? Because the PC will get in the slots/wholes? If so that makes sense...
Old 04-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Motorboater

I am no expert on rotors and why some can or can't be turned, but I did just do a set of slotted and drilled rotors two weeks ago.doing them this way is the best way..looks awesome since all the slots and holes and cooling fins will still be coated after having the powder cut off the pad surface. Also creates a perfect circle/line around the hub..masking a perfect line on a rotor is tough.

here they are coated, prior to being put on a lathe..customer had them cut, not me, so I can't comment..but he has not mentioned any problems.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

A few shops around me said they wont turn slotted or drilled rotors, cause it damages the blades on the lathe, or wears them out faster. Dont know if theres any truth to that, but was told it more than once.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Those do look good, but I was hoping to have the hub black like the Eradispeeds in the first post. I am a bit on the fence now, because I don't think black in the slots would look good.

Silver Ghost, If I do end up doing it I would certainly appreciate your guidance and work. Everyone speaks very highly of you.

If anyone has any other thoughts or pics of darker PC'd rotors I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bullet95z28
A few shops around me said they wont turn slotted or drilled rotors, cause it damages the blades on the lathe, or wears them out faster. Dont know if theres any truth to that, but was told it more than once.
I am of the same opinion. Most shops do not want to turn drilled/slotted rotors. I thought I saw a member selling rotor and pad set-ups that were entirely black and the pads wear the finish off of the braking surface? Try looking through the "Suspension and Brakes" section. As a last resort, I know others have just painted the hub with caliper paint.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Motorboater

Caliper paint may or may not hold up. I'm doing another set this week where I need to strip the high temp paint off first, it didn't last a week for this guy.

blkZmaro--no problem, be happy to assist if you need anything, feel free to shoot me a PM or call me at 847-561-4361 anytime.

By the way those Eradispeeds you posted very much look anodized on the hubs to me, not powder coated. I hope they are anyway with those mating surfaces in black. I keep the mating surfaces free of powder front and back(you can see the front mating surface in the pics I posted, blasted clean, but no powder) for safety purposes. Anodized is fine on the mating surfaces, but powder can be problematic when sandwiched tightly between two parts that can get really hot.

Quick Reply: PowderCoating Rotors...