LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

can i use...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default can i use...

Can i use a block of a 1971-1972 corvette casting # 3970010

all i know about it is that the dipstick is on the driver side but its the same size 350 block.

what would i have to do to make it work on a 1995 camaro lt1.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sepno77
Can i use a block of a 1971-1972 corvette casting # 3970010

all i know about it is that the dipstick is on the driver side but its the same size 350 block.

what would i have to do to make it work on a 1995 camaro lt1.
It won't work with LT1 reverse flow cooling heads, not to mention the many other things that won't work. You'd have to convert them which would be a waste of time.

I'd suggest that you find a LT1 short block.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

why not sell that block to someone with a corvette who might actually need a period correct piece and get yourself a junkyard block or just a shortblock from wherever? as stated above they are completely different motor there is no way to make that work on ur car unless you completely change it to the old style stuff which would mean no FI, different mounts all kinda stuff that makes no sense at all, not to mention there is more power potential in the later stuff....
Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by multmigs
why not sell that block to someone with a corvette who might actually need a period correct piece and get yourself a junkyard block or just a shortblock from wherever? as stated above they are completely different motor there is no way to make that work on ur car unless you completely change it to the old style stuff which would mean no FI, different mounts all kinda stuff that makes no sense at all, not to mention there is more power potential in the later stuff....
+1.... and yet -1

I agree fully with leaving the block for someone who can use it for their collector car, but there is tons of ways to get it to work and still keep fuel injection. Even fuel injection running the stock computing system, but you'd have to rig up some sort of hermaphrodite Opti-in-a-HEI setup. The motor mounts and bellhousing are the exact same though, not sure who told you different with that. And if it has newer style heads, there shouldn't be any problem with using the accessory brackets either. Everything after the "but" is the -1 part

As SRJ said, it's not worth the time and money to use that block. Unless you plan to carb the car and can get the block for like $100.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

What I was getting at is that its not a drop in replacement by any means, as you pointed out further, also the motor mounts don't seem the esact same to me, they might bolt onto the block themselves in the same way I don't have any old school small blocks to look at I just know the mount themselves aren't the same as the ones I've used on those.....
anyway no need to argue the answer to guys ??? is just simply

NO
Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That is an LT-1 not an LT1 the "-" makes a huge difference.

What you have is a run of the mill plain jane gen 1 block. Besides not being atall right I would suspect it is weaker than the LT1 block.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks...i was just wondering cause it was for sale for prity cheap. i wont be getting it.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats the good thing about this site you can ask questions before you make a costly mistake

Quick Reply: can i use...