Tools & Fabrication - Fuel line disconnect tool

View Full Version : Fuel line disconnect tool

loyolacub68
04-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Can anyone explain to me about how to use the metal disconnect tool to disconnect the fuel line from the rails? I bought one from Autozone and could not get it to come off.

Thanks.

loyolacub68
04-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Anyone?

dowmace
04-16-2009, 06:18 PM
close the tubing shaped end of the tool around the fuel line and slide it into the larger round port on the line you'll feel it sort of snap in. Then just pop the fuel line apart.

I don't know if that makes sense actually...........

jetlag
04-16-2009, 07:27 PM
close the tubing shaped end of the tool around the fuel line and slide it into the larger round port on the line you'll feel it sort of snap in. Then just pop the fuel line apart.

I don't know if that makes sense actually...........

In theory, yes it works..hah

But I've tried all the AutoZone fuel line disconnect tools and they would never work on my LS1...but worked fine on Mustang fuel rails? lol

3800RS
04-16-2009, 09:30 PM
its a pain. you really gotta wiggle it. push the line in, then pull out

mzoomora
04-16-2009, 09:41 PM
its a pain. you really gotta wiggle it. push the line in, then pull out

Yep. Push the tool all the way in, push the line towards the tool and slide both back in the direction you want to take the line off and pull the line off. Sometimes they can be a pain.

deelong4002
04-16-2009, 09:45 PM
take the little metal clip off the line that holds them together. Slide the rubber boot toward the rail, and then push that thing in there under the coupler.

loyolacub68
04-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Yep. Push the tool all the way in, push the line towards the tool and slide both back in the direction you want to take the line off and pull the line off. Sometimes they can be a pain.

Ok, maybe I was not pushing in before trying to pull the line off. The support for the fuel rail is welded very close and I've had trouble just getting the tool in there.

Ugh, this weekend I'll give it another try.

jetlag
04-16-2009, 11:33 PM
. The support for the fuel rail is welded very close and I've had trouble just getting the tool in there.

That was my problem also...

kagato
12-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Bringing it back from the dead I know but was having the same problem tonight. would push the tool on as far as it could go and nothing, feels like its not fully engaging or something. I could push the tool in and at the same time push the line towards the rail, then try and pull it off and I would feel the line kind of click off the surface of the tool but it didn't feel like it ever did anything and line felt like it was on just as firmly as before.
Does it sound like this tool is not long enough? I got mine from checker/Oreilly's

Adam86
12-10-2010, 11:57 AM
I couldn't get any of the metal Auto Zone ones to work. They were all too thick to fit. The plastic ones at NAPA that I bought did the trick though.

Beau@SDPC
12-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Slight grinding on the metal one usually works, but the plastic ones work most of the time.

BrntWS6
05-20-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm in the middle of a H/C swap and had the same problem. Autozone tool wouldn't fit so I grinded it down and was then too short to depress all the clips inside. I grabbed an old metal down spout 90* that I had taken off the house and cut a small section out, wrapped it around the fuel line and pressed it in. Worked like a charm and saved me a return trip to the store.

MIKELMOTORCYCLE3398
02-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Use the 3/8's plastic one from orielly that look like a T, they r white and come in a pack of like 6 for 10 bucks. Slide the fuel rail all te way back, shove the tool in and turn it in a cirlec, pushit forward then pull it all back at once. Pops right off

djfury05
02-04-2012, 09:04 PM
The fuel line disconnect tools never worked for me. So I made one with the stuff I had lying around the house. I had a funnel just like this one, so I cut the small portion off the bottom of it and made a slit down the middle. This tool has worked flawlessly and instantly every single time, and it was free!

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/oil/Funnels/images/05064%20Large%20Funnel.jpg

MrElectric03
02-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Ive used quite a few different toos and the ones I found that work best are the white plastic ones. It bends a little to get it on the line easier, then all you do is push it in, push the line towards it and tehn pull the line back and comes right off everytime.

BADD SS
02-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Personally have only had luck with the spring loaded aluminum ones, the die cast double enders and plastic ones are crap.

Dainius56
02-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Agreed brad. I use those as at work all day long. The cheap yellow and red one with a small o-ring around it to apply pressure to make it slide in easier.

Mako77
02-07-2012, 06:41 PM
ha ha those really suck until you find the right tool. Then it's pretty easy.

ShredSled
02-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Are you guys talking about the "Performance tool" metal one? Yeah, I tried that too, didn't work so I returned it and just got the cheaper plastic Lisle (sp?) one, I think it was blue? But it worked great with no hassle.

I've even seen where some people used a color marker cap that they cut and slide over to use in a pinch...