Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

filter replacement procedure

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 03:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default filter replacement procedure

ok got the old filter out as well as the seal...does the new seal go in first and then the filter or just put the seal on the filter and give it a good push up into the hole? if its the first of the two whats the easiest best way that you have come up with on getting it up in there? If its the second...how well does it really seat that way...cuz i did it the second way and it kinda slid down the neck of the filter a bit and im not sure how well its sealing.

Thanks
Bill
Old 10-27-2003, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seal then filter. FWIW I never replace the seal unless it's bad, it's more trouble than it's worth and you risk nicking the bore, wich would cause a sealing problem anyway.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

I agree. Unless the seal looks damaged or is already coming out, just leave it in. It's almost impossibile to remove it without scratching or damaging the metal surface if it's still holding in tight. I just did a trans service on my Bonneville and opted to replace the seal as it's almost 8 years old. Let me tell you, I probably shouldn't have. Ended up leaving a couple nicks in the metal, luckily they weren't up in the bore or around the lip though. Those seals are a PITA. I ended up having to split it in two pieces just to get it out.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whats the best way to get the new one up in there?

Thanks
Bill
Old 10-29-2003, 12:30 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get the new seal in, get a socket just small enough to slip in the bore, and use it to tap the seal in. (Probably need an extension on the socket). I've changed mine twice this way. The old seal can be removed by -carefully- collapsing it inward with an awl.