Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

243 headed 418+ ci LS3

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 243 headed 418+ ci LS3

How much power would it be reasonable to make on a stroker 418 LS3 with CNC 243's and a 226/230 0.600/0.600 cam. I'm trying to find an economical topend approach to my LS3 shortblock. I'm considering a TFS 225-235 or CNC LS3 also...the cathedral style head will produce nice AUC power with respectable peak #'s, but I'll likely need an after market manifold, as my stock TBSS manifold will be a limiting factor.
So, on top of $2500 for the heads, you talking another $500-$900 for Intake. If you run a FAST intake you have to change over the accessory drive to a car style (more $$), if you run an intake like the new Edlebrock pro (tunnel ram style), you'll have to buy fuel rails, and fab up a fuel line ($$).

If you do LS3 style, then the heads are cheaper ~$1800, but then you have to buy an intake. A truck style L92 intake could likely be had for fairly cheap, and still make decent power, but for the biggest power you'd need the FAST LSXR which will be $1000 or so, and isn't yet available (which messes with my time table).

The above options will both require custom cams also. The TFS rocker arms as well.

Option 3 is to re-run my CNC 243's and custom grind 226/230 cam on that shortblock, and either leave my intake alone for now, or do a port job on it. This would save me around $4K in all honesty it looks like...Question is, how much power will I be sacrificing???

The heads are ported by Advanced Induction FYI...

Comments and Suggests NEEDED, I'm running out of time!!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pharmd
How much power would it be reasonable to make on a stroker 418 LS3 with CNC 243's and a 226/230 0.600/0.600 cam. I'm trying to find an economical topend approach to my LS3 shortblock. I'm considering a TFS 225-235 or CNC LS3 also...the cathedral style head will produce nice AUC power with respectable peak #'s, but I'll likely need an after market manifold, as my stock TBSS manifold will be a limiting factor.
So, on top of $2500 for the heads, you talking another $500-$900 for Intake. If you run a FAST intake you have to change over the accessory drive to a car style (more $$), if you run an intake like the new Edlebrock pro (tunnel ram style), you'll have to buy fuel rails, and fab up a fuel line ($$).

If you do LS3 style, then the heads are cheaper ~$1800, but then you have to buy an intake. A truck style L92 intake could likely be had for fairly cheap, and still make decent power, but for the biggest power you'd need the FAST LSXR which will be $1000 or so, and isn't yet available (which messes with my time table).

The above options will both require custom cams also. The TFS rocker arms as well.

Option 3 is to re-run my CNC 243's and custom grind 226/230 cam on that shortblock, and either leave my intake alone for now, or do a port job on it. This would save me around $4K in all honesty it looks like...Question is, how much power will I be sacrificing???

The heads are ported by Advanced Induction FYI...

Comments and Suggests NEEDED, I'm running out of time!!
either way your going to end up getting a new intake manifold.. eventually. also dont forget you will need to rockers with the trickflow heads. so factor another $400 ish on it.

LS3 heads with a good cams seems like the best buck. the L92 intake can be picked up pretty cheap till you have money for the fast when it comes out.

question is, why not just wait? saves labor and cost for a retune

that cam is on the small side for a 416 too
Old 04-16-2009, 09:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would make a great torque motor since that Cam will peak at 5600rpm or so.

Quick Reply: 243 headed 418+ ci LS3