Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Small leak from rear of tranny ....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Small leak from rear of tranny ....

I got under my car the other day to change the oil and noticed that there was a little tranny fluid that had blown back and was on my torque arm and other things from driving and that if my car sits more than 2 days , there will be one drop on the ground.....Rear input shaft seal where the DS goes into the tranny is dry as a bone so i know its not that....Cleaned everything up with simple green and got up under there this morning and it is a little wet on the bottom rear part of the tranny right below the drain plug where there is 2 black bolts, looks like it is slowly seaping where the seam is, but it is only on the bottom because i ran my hand up the seam and it is bone dry also....What can i do, tranny just came out about 4 months ago to get rebuilt, anything i can do to reseal it without pulling the tranny all the way out
Old 04-17-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone ?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

TTT.....all those views and no posts
Old 04-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Banned

Its tough to say but oil never runs up or foward. I always tell customers to follow the trail from the back to the front and see where it takes you. Based on the fact you are getting oil on the passenger side of the unit in the area you are getting it, I would place the leak one of three places.

(1) Drain plug - the fix is to pull it and smear some black silicone on the threads and retighten it or simply make sure its tight right now.
(2) In between the main case and tail housing - the fix is to pull the tailhousing, clean the surfaces and reseal it with black silicone.
(3) Cracked plastic vent tube on top of the unit at the area it attaches to the metal vent tube - the fix is to replace the plastic tube with a rubber one and reuse the pop off valve at the end of it on the new rubber hose.