Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

v6 camaro LS1 swap, Kmember diff/steering

Old 04-18-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default v6 camaro LS1 swap, Kmember diff/steering

Looking into v6 camaro to same year ls1 & harness swap for my next build. I am very curious on K member differences. There cant be a difference between a 98 up v6 vs ls1 k members besides the mounts and maybe the steering racks, it just doesent seem like a plausible deal for it to be that way in terms of manufacturing, but heck I may be just trying to convince myself. Anyone know for sure? I already have a ls1 rack and mounts from my camaro before I went manual rack and solid mounts. Any info greatly appreciated!
-James
Old 04-18-2009, 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

The V6 stuff is completely different from the LS1 stuff. You will need a LS1 Rack and Linkage to run with a LS Engine.

Here is a pic of the difference..

Old 04-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When i had the 2000 firebird, I swapped my "V6" rack and pinion to LS1 rack and pinion. The steering shaft mounted to it w/o any problems. The mounting points were the same also.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The motor mount position different. Y probably need change the alternator position. Remove A/C out. Try find another way to fix without replace the steering thing.. I done in swap the V6 to LS1 and no problems.
Good Luck..
Old 04-18-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
The motor mount position different. Y probably need change the alternator position. Remove A/C out. Try find another way to fix without replace the steering thing.. I done in swap the V6 to LS1 and no problems.
Good Luck..
I picked up a 98 v6 car today to do the swap to. I can finally look at the differences. Thanks for the pics. So what i've gathered is if I go with the rack and linkage and LS1 mounts I can use the same K member? Or are the mounting points different?

Looks like I'm in the market for a 98 LS1 harness and computer now!

BTW Jeff hows the riding up on the mountain this year? I went in January and had a blast, lots of new roads cut through there this year though, makes the trails harder to find when you cross!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Get you something newer than a 1998 PCM..as in a 1999 and up. You can tune them alot better.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
I picked up a 98 v6 car today to do the swap to. I can finally look at the differences. Thanks for the pics. So what i've gathered is if I go with the rack and linkage and LS1 mounts I can use the same K member? Or are the mounting points different?

Looks like I'm in the market for a 98 LS1 harness and computer now!

BTW Jeff hows the riding up on the mountain this year? I went in January and had a blast, lots of new roads cut through there this year though, makes the trails harder to find when you cross!
I live at other side from that place. More stricts/rules/Heard too many accidents up there.

What I do drill om V6 kmember and put Sophn solid mount.Sophin mount seems too tall length for my Ls2. Need little short length.
I will make my own mount one day when I have one newer Millermatic 252 or 350 weld.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
Get you something newer than a 1998 PCM..as in a 1999 and up. You can tune them alot better.
I didnt think 98-99 really had any differences. I was under the impression that a 98 harness/comp would plug into my 98 car with no modifications, i'm not too worried about tuning anyways, ive had several 98 cars so i'm used to tuning them

Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
I live at other side from that place. More stricts/rules/Heard too many accidents up there.

What I do drill om V6 kmember and put Sophn solid mount.Sophin mount seems too tall length for my Ls2. Need little short length.
I will make my own mount one day when I have one newer Millermatic 252 or 350 weld.
Yea they have gotten too strict, thats why I have gone less and less every year. Accidents mostly from people flying down the main paved road and running off, I actually had a buddy run off in 07, just busted his knee..very lucky. I used to go every weekend or every other weekend, i've ridden the whole mountain and some. You live on the North side?

I figured new holes could be drilled, fabbing mounts isnt a problem for me either, it looks like the v6 mount is rearward a little, I bet an addaptor plate could be fabbed pretty easily.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:13 AM

I may be doing the same swap soon, probably in an 02 bird though. So if you run into any snags put it on the post.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll do a build thread prob
Old 04-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Teching In

if u need the steering linkage realy hard to find and pricey i have an extra one left over from my swap did a 97vs to 01 ls1 so if u need the linkage give me a call and i can get u a price shipped to u 219-718-6173 mike
Old 11-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

just moving this to the top to make it easier for somebody else to find. Dustin these are the shafts that we have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: v6 camaro LS1 swap, Kmember diff/steering