Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone able to get the Comp adjst shaft rockers to work.?....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 10:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unhappy Anyone able to get the Comp adjst shaft rockers to work.?....

...or am I just stupid??

I picked up a set (stock 1.7 adjustable)of these from Speed Inc. along with a ported oil pump. I was under the impression these were a direct swap for the stock pieces. However I went to install these the other day. I bolted the pedestals down no problem. The rocker shafts however were at least 1/2 inch away from being seated (in the pedestal) by the time the rockers made contact with the valves and pushrods . The adjusters were backed all the way up. Any further tightening down of the shafts would leave both I & E valves wide open.
This was done on the #1 cyl at TDC. I moved around to different valves but no luck.
Also the geometry of the pushrod into the rocker cup left it off-center of the pushrod hole in the head. The pushrod was actually resting on the edge of the hole regardless if the rocker shafts were seated all the way or not.
I ended up putting the stock ones back in (w/no problem) to get the motor up and running again.
Am I missing some fine print somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your not stupid. These are not a drop in rocker. The pushrods are going to need to be a different length (shorter). The pushrod hole will need to be elongated towards the exhaust side as you indicated. I have a set of these on my motor. It takes having a little patients and the heads off the motor so you can clearance them as they need it. You may also find you need a taller valve cover or spacers. I have spacers. Good luck.

Chris
Old 10-28-2003, 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...that blows...
Old 10-28-2003, 06:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
Your not stupid. These are not a drop in rocker. The pushrods are going to need to be a different length (shorter). The pushrod hole will need to be elongated towards the exhaust side as you indicated. I have a set of these on my motor. It takes having a little patients and the heads off the motor so you can clearance them as they need it. You may also find you need a taller valve cover or spacers. I have spacers. Good luck.

Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris. That sucks. I wish I had known that while I had the heads off and before ordering the 7.400" pushrods. Thats what I get for not thoroughly researching them before buying. I was just sold on their claim of fitting under the stock valve covers that I assumed they were direct bolt-ins like the other shaft systems. I guess Comp had to make up that height difference somewhere.

It would just be nice if the sponsers sites who carry these, put some fine print next to them explaining the necessary modifications. Something like how they mention the need for machining on some dual valve spring setups.

I guess I'll just sit on them until I pull the heads again for 1 reason or another.
It's just a big chunk of change doing nothing in the meantime though
Old 10-28-2003, 07:15 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

This has been covered...Phil on here had the same results. These sound no different than how the T&D shaft rockers are...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=680673

Its a shame the company said they'd fit under stock valve covers...
Old 10-28-2003, 08:08 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well lets see.
1) They won't fit under stock valve covers
2) They won't fit under stock valve covers with the baffle's removed
3) They won't fit under the stock valve covers with with baffle's removed and bolt dimples ground out.

I am lost, they dont fit under the stock valve covers or modded stockers. I was debating about making some spacers tomorrow morning but I think I am done with DRE.
Phillip
Old 10-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Why don't you just send the shaft rockers back and get a set of good high performance roller rockers? They are bolt-ons and you get similar performance results, without having to pull your heads back off.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:41 AM
7 Second Club

Which rockers do you recommend?
Phillip
Old 10-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

I'd recommend the Crane gold aluminum rockers. I live in Daytona, so Crane is an obvious choice because they have excellent quality and if I have any problems I can go and talk to their tech support guys and get help.

But any of the other valvetrain companies could work well too. The thing you have to watch out for is that some of the aftermarket rockers are "over-built". This means that while they're advertised as being a certain ratio, say 1.8 for example, they could actually be a 1.86 ratio rocker. When putting aftermarket rockers on you need to check your retainer to guide and retainer to valve seal clearance.

I've never had any trouble with the Crane rockers myself, nor have my buddies, but that doesn't mean there isn't something as good out there.

For the spring pressure you run normally in an LS-1, even with performance springs, there really isn't a need for shaft mount rocker arms. Shaft mounts really give you benefits when you're running high open pressures (500-600 lbs.) For the spring pressures run in an LS-1 style V-8, a regular performance roller rocker is the best way to go.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

comp is working on a set of shaft rockers that WILL fit under the stock valve covers..but they are 4-6 weeks away from having them..I would just go with the pro magnums
Old 10-29-2003, 05:55 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by spectacle solutions
comp is working on a set of shaft rockers that WILL fit under the stock valve covers..but they are 4-6 weeks away from having them..I would just go with the pro magnums
After trying to fit a set of adjustable rockers under the stock valve covers, I find that funny. Comp farms out their shaft mounted rockers to DRE racing(Comp Rep told me). I have tried every way under the sun to get them to fit under the stock valve covers. If you milled the valve covers out and removed the baffles they would fit.
Phillip
Old 10-30-2003, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

...there is an ad in GM high Performance Mag for adjustible Comp shaft rockers....it says they fit under stock covers....
Old 10-30-2003, 11:34 AM
7 Second Club

The rockers that I have aren't even close to fitting. If you cut the baffles out and grind all of the nipples for the bolts(leaving open holes) your within 1/4" of them fitting. When the valvetrain starts moving at peak lift your 3/8" away.