Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long can you idle a 4L80E that has pumped itself dry through the cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How long can you idle a 4L80E that has pumped itself dry through the cooler?

I have a 4L80E that I am planning to start up this summer. Before I took it off the van, the junk yard was running the 6.0L engine to get it up to temperature to make sure the engine was good. The van was in an accident, and the trans cooler was leaking fluid. The cooler was sitting in a drain pan. It looks like it pumped a lot of trans fluid into the pan.

So basically, as the van idled for a about 20 mins, it looks like the trans pumped its fluid into a drain pan through a broken trans cooler.

Is this transmission junk?

Thanks, -Dave
Old 04-18-2009, 04:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Its very hard to say , I would at least inspect the pump for gaulding damage from running dry. It not real likley there is any additional damage anywhere else. And almost certainly not if the pump is ok.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-18-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

How can I tell if the pump is damaged by visually inspecting it? Can you see it with the pan off?

How about after I start it up - what are the operational/driving symptoms?

Could I tow the car, with it in neutral, about 3 or 4 miles to a muffler shop (and then back) without damaging the trans? Should I fill it up with fluid first?

Thanks! -Dave
Old 04-18-2009, 08:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You would need to remove the pump to inspect
If you plan to tow more than a mile or two either tow with the back wheels raised or if you cant do that then overfill the trans though it may puke some fluid out along the way.

Trouble with the driving it to see is if there is damage you may do additional damage to the converter and trans that may be fine at this point, Theres just no way to know without looking at it.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-18-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just depends on how much fluid it lost. I have been told if you ever break your car and have someone pull you with another vehicle if you dont take the driveshaft out it only takes about a mile on a transmission without the pump running to tear stuff up
Old 04-18-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the help guys. Next time I work on the car I will pull the pan to see just how much fluid is left and then decide what to do. There was definitely fluid in the converter. I lost some fluid installing the engine/trans assembly into the engine bay (with the rear of the trans tilted down) and also when I stood the trans up on the tail housing to wiggle the converter back on.

Yea, why didn't I think of that. I'll just tie off the steering wheel and tow it backwards.

Thanks! -Dave
Old 04-18-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

You can usually inspect the pump bushing for wear. From what I've found, the bushing will usually wear out first.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Is that something I can check by taking off the converter, or taking off the drain pan?

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
You can usually inspect the pump bushing for wear. From what I've found, the bushing will usually wear out first.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
Is that something I can check by taking off the converter, or taking off the drain pan?
You'll have to remove the converter. You can usually see the bushing with a flashlight.

Quick Reply: How long can you idle a 4L80E that has pumped itself dry through the cooler?