Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

6 speed swap questions (5.0 shifter, and rls)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6 speed swap questions (5.0 shifter, and rls)

If you do not wire up the reverse lock out cylonoid is it supposed to have that bar permanately stuck out? I cannot get my car into reverse because of it. Also even with it out (leaving a hole) my pro 5.0 shifter feels does not have enough play room to get into reverse. It also has alot of play in every gear when installed. It is not the transmission itself because without the shifter installed I can feel how firmly it locks into gear without any play.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The REV solenoid will resist you moving the shifter to the rev gate, but it can be overcome with extra effort (even 2hands). It's easy enough to wire to a 12V switch, even if you don't want to wire it up correctly to the clutch and/or brake switches.

Sounds like you have the wrong shifter for your trans, the shifter stops haven't been backed out all the way, or something is missing (GTO shift lug?). Some part#s and/or pics might help us solve the problem, if you don't figure it out.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

There was some sort of washer thing blocking the shifter. I figured it out, could you link me to a write up on how to wire it up? Pretty much I just need to know the positive and negative terminal on the reverse lockout solonoid. It des not have any identifying marks
Old 04-19-2009, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

The positive (pink) wire goes to a switched 12V source. The negative wire (light green) goes to pin C1-42 (red connector, light green wire) for the 98 wiring harness or pin C2-44 (red connector, also light green) for the 99+ cars.

Since you are swapping from an auto, you can swap one of the shift solenoid wires over to the reverse lockout pin to avoid running a wire from the PCM to the solenoid. For the 98, you could use the 1-2 shift solenoid (C1-35) or C2-48 for the 99+ cars. There should be a 12V source on the transmission harness, or you can find another source or run your own.

If you bought the pigtail from GM (or somewhere else), just go by the colors above, otherwise you can test the solenoid by supplying it with power from the cigarette lighter and giving it a ground.

Wiring harness pinouts:
98: http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/98pinpcm.htm
99+: http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/99pinpcm.htm