LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car died help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died help!!!!

my 1995 camaro z28 was running just fine. i let it sit for 1 hour, go try to start it and it just cranks over. turns over just fine. There is no spark. my distributor should be o.k. it was replaced not to long ago and with a new fuel pump. I have no spark coming from my coil. Now when i check for power, i got a tool from a garage. i put it on the negative on the battery and check the wires going into the coil and ignition modular. I have power in one pink wire(one wire plug out of two) but wen i check for spark OUT of the coil i have nothing! so.. i replaced the coil along with a new ignition modular and it still will not give me spark! any idea what is going on!
Old 04-18-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a spark plug, ground it with a wire around the threads, and stick it inside the coil then go crank it over (wear some thick rubber gloves if you're holding it or use a pliers with some gloves, just to insure you don't get shocked even if you probably won't). If the spark plug sparks then you're good up to that point. Now put the plug inside the coil wire and connect it to the coil, grown the plug and crank it, if you've got spark there as well then it's not your coil wire. Next is to pull off a spark plug wire from a few random cylinders and repeat the plug test. If SOME get spark and others don't, 2 possibilites; 1) you're wires on those cylinders are bad or 2) your cap/rotor/opti is bad :\ Easy way to rule out #1 is if you are getting spark from other cylinders, is to take that plug wire and put it on the cylinder that isn't getting spark and repeat the previous test.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Teching In

i get no spark from my coil :/ somthing to do with the security ???
Old 04-20-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why do you think it's the security? And while it could be that, I'm not sure if the security cuts fuel or cuts spark. However some vehicles I've seen at the shop will still fire but only run for literally 5seconds before dieing. It could be year and make specific for how the security affects the car, but I'm willing to bet that's not the case here. Unless you can shed light on why you feel it might be the cause.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

I do believe the security does cut the fuel.. Sounds like if your security light is on you may need to change out your ignition cylinder
Old 04-20-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dkishton1486
I do believe the security does cut the fuel.. Sounds like if your security light is on you may need to change out your ignition cylinder
Except he has no spark :\ He should check his fuel pressure though too, just to confirm. For all we know, it cuts both

Make sure all your ground connections are secure and not rusted/corroded.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

VATS
The TDM (or BCM) sends a ground to the TDR to allow the starter to crank when you turn to the START position. Simultaneously, it sends a signal to the computer to allow fuel to the injectors. Your engine is allowed to start.

ASFAIK, the distributor hi/lo res signals trigger the coil to fire. What brand distributor did you get?

Quick Reply: Car died help!!!!