Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro vs. Vette alternator location

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro vs. Vette alternator location

I have my motor 99% done now and installed all the vette accessories today, and I really don't like the look of them, as compared to the carmaro p/s and alternator set up and location.. Without buying all the camaro front dress complete, is there any other options to relocating the alternator down low and coming up with a different p/s set up? If not, and I ended up getting all the Camaro stuff, can I use my C5 alternator, or is it different than the F-Body? Motor going in a 1st gen camaro. Appreciate any info.. Thanks, Jason.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:14 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you swap to f-body accys the alternator is different, as is the water pump and balancer. I`m not sure if the power steering pump is different, but it very well might be. Unfortunately the vette stuff is pretty vette specific.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Vette PS pump has a smaller pulley shaft. I'm not sure if thats going to be a factor, unless you keep that pulley.

The alternator mounting points are closer together for the Vette alternator. The only ones that are interchangeable are the F-Body and Truck alternators.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Launching!

I believe the water pumps work for both vette/ camaro. It looks like the camaro set up just moves the belt out 3/4" on the water pump pulley.. If I'm not mistaken, I would need a new tensioner, crank pulley, p/s pump w/ pulley & reservoir, alternator and new f-body alt & p/s mounting brackets. Anybody want some vette stuff??? I also have a brand *** new SLP u/d vette pulley I won't be needing...
Old 04-19-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It depends on whether you have the old or new style vette pump. If its a wide pulley, then yes it will work with the F-body access. It will just ride on the front half of the pulley, vice the back half for the vette access.

Youre list looks just about right for what you'd need. Don't forget the idler on the F-Body Alternator bracket
Old 04-19-2009, 05:16 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Racinjason424
I believe the water pumps work for both vette/ camaro. It looks like the camaro set up just moves the belt out 3/4" on the water pump pulley.. If I'm not mistaken, Anybody want some vette stuff???
Now that you say that I believe your right, I do think that the water pumps are the same.

Now for the vette stuff....it depends on what your looking to sell it for. I don`t need the vette accys right now, but I didn`t need the spare 5.3L that I bought, and I didn`t need the C4 vette that I bought either. hmmm c4 vette + 5.3l.....uh oh I see a snowball effect here
Old 04-20-2009, 05:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are interested, I have an F body alternator bracket that I had milled down to work with the vette accesories. I ended up not being able to use it due to interference with the steering gear on my particular swap.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
If you are interested, I have an F body alternator bracket that I had milled down to work with the vette accesories. I ended up not being able to use it due to interference with the steering gear on my particular swap.
Sent you a PM..
Old 04-21-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

The guys who are swapping S10s often swap to the Vette accessory drive setup, since the f-body setup doesn't work easily (PS pump is in the same spot as the steering box) and the truck accessories are longer (and the S10 is spacially challenged)

So, you might be able to find somebody interested in your whole setup.

'JustDreamin'
Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Racinjason424
I have my motor 99% done now and installed all the vette accessories today, and I really don't like the look of them, as compared to the carmaro p/s and alternator set up and location.. Without buying all the camaro front dress complete, is there any other options to relocating the alternator down low and coming up with a different p/s set up? If not, and I ended up getting all the Camaro stuff, can I use my C5 alternator, or is it different than the F-Body? Motor going in a 1st gen camaro. Appreciate any info.. Thanks, Jason.

You sir, have a pm.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Now, you have 2 pm's,since I have an interest in your accessories, just in order to help you out of your jam...LOL
Old 05-07-2009, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

power steering pump is different also. shaft diameter, and obviously offset.

Quick Reply: Camaro vs. Vette alternator location