LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

guage problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guage problems

idk if this is the right place to post this, couldnt find one that fit tho.. i have a 94 formula ive only been driving it the last few days just got tags on it, and everything has been working great; untill my gas guage started acting weird later when i was driving, i should've had about a half tank when i left my house but it was sitting on full, i tapped the glass on guage it went to 3/4s tank drove about 10 mins went back on full, got to columbus and it went to a little above a half. and stayed on half all the way home which now i should be on about a quarter tank or less? any ideas.. dont wanna be sitting on side of the road out of gas somewhere.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have never owned an f-body?

the gauges are always off. the way the tank is designed and the floater makes it hard to get an accurate reading. if you're sitting in the car looking down or up a hill, it will go up or down because of the shape of the tank and the lack of any baffles or anythin to keep it from sloshing all over the place as ridiculously as it does. just carry a gas can with you until you can figure out how many miles you get before you need a fill up, then fill up. reset your odometer every time you fill up, when you get close to 220 or w/e you get off a tank, go fill up. thats what i do, at least.

if the fuel level sending unit were broken, it would give no resistance, making the gauge go all the way to the right as far as it could go. if it moves up and down as you drive around, well, thats normal unfortunately. also there is no low gas light for these things. if there is, it doesnt work. just keep a full tank.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the gauge says full, it's full.
If it says 3/4, it's still full.
If it says 1/2, it's 3/4 full.
If it says 1/4, it's just about empty.

I just refill when it gets to the 1/4 mark. Simple.