Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick question about the maf screen

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default quick question about the maf screen

So I'm in the middle of my ls6 intake/ p&p tb swap and i looked in the lid just to see what the maf looked like and now that i think about it, i dont have the screen on there. im guessing the guy that owned it before me removed it. he did a few of the free mods but other then that it was stock.

question is, in a few months i will be taking it in and get a tune now that im happy with the bolt ons i have, should i buy a screen and put it on? i hear mixed feelings about having/not having the screen on there.

edit: i found an old thread and the guy that is giong to p&p my tb (damian) told someone else to descreen that maf instead of buying a larger maf. so im guessing he thinks its okay to desreen.

but from a tuning standpoint, would it be better to put one in?

Last edited by twitchtwice; 04-19-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

If the tuner is thorough, and not one of the "as long as it runs good at WOT" tuners, the tune will compensate for the missing screen. Mine's long gone, but in all honesty never made the car run any different, nor did it make it any harder to tune.

The MAF screen removal opinions are right up there with all the other varying opinions on everything from "What brand oil should I use?", to "What's the best cam for my car?", lol....

Heck, some people swear that porting the throttle body is a waste of time and/or money. Of course, they are also the same people who have either never done it, or read someone else's (who also has never done it) opinion saying not to do it.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if it runs fine now i wouldn't change it
Old 04-19-2009, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i mean my car runs great, i didnt even know it was descreened until i pulled the lid assembly off with the maf there and i look at the maf and the was no screen.

so it obviously doesnt hurt anything. im just going to leave it off unless i notice problems
Old 04-20-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know when I removed my screen I pretty much destroyed it. That in mind, I don't think there's any re-installing a screen on a MAF. I could be wrong, but I believe if you want the screen you'll have to replace the entire MAF. I didn't really notice any difference with or without the screen, so like the above posts state, I wouldn't think it would be a problem either way.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is actually a post with video to the benifit of removing the sceen of the maf. u cant replace the screen, have to buy the new center section. and there is no problem tuning with the screen out, people run into problems tuning cars that have aftermarket mafs with tunes already set in the maf ull be fine
Old 05-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i removed mine, here's what i found.... in theory, more air=more power(properly tuned).....even not tuned, factory vehicles run pig rich to begin with, so this may lean them out a little for the better... anyway, to feel how restrictive it really is, try driving and holding it (the removed screen) out the window at 20mph or so..... it almost flies out of your hands, it's so restrictive.... gotta be good for more/ better airflow, if anything.....

as far as stopping debris.... that's the air filter's job.....