Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter Going?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque Converter Going?

Well i went to the trany shop today to have a sensor replaced that was causing the T/C to lock and unlock ramdonly(reading -30 degrees then switching back to 120 degrees)

When i came to pick up the truck the guy said that the T/C was going out beacuse he found a nice amount of metal shavings in the pan.

Is this just because the T/C is weak(stock 99(s10) 4.3 4l60e) and was going out beacuse of the added v8 power? Or the locking and unlocking caused by the temp. readings? Or maybe because i adapted the older gen 4l60e to the newer 5.3 causing some sort of problem?

The reason i want to know what caused the killing of the T/C is because i am about to invest into a Yank and dont want it to go out like this one did.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well it would not be from being weak. The s10 4.3 litre converter has a full size lockup clutch. But could be the randon lock and unlock accompanied with age and miles.
The adaptation should not have caused any issue either.
Unfortunatley the most worriesome thing about there being metal in the pan from the converter is that the fluid that comes from the converter goes into the cooler and then into the trans lube circuit.
This is a bad thing since it can damage bushings and restrick or block lube feeds.
If your sure that the metal came from the converter clutch failing IDK if its a good idea to put a new expensive converter into a potentially contaminated transmission that could fail and take out the new converter.
Something to consider.
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-19-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for the input. I have now have a lot to think about and with money being so tight its tough. Frank what kind of payment plan do you offer?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a day or two since the trans shop the truck has had a rough idol...i checked to see if it was a vacuum leak because thats just what it felt like...wasnt, so i just keep on ridding it like that for a couple of days...now there is a problem that seems to be getting worse and worse...it seems when i get on the gas a little the truck is being tugged by a rope from the back 2 or 3 times..whats the deal ?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 99,s10
Thank you for the input. I have now have a lot to think about and with money being so tight its tough. Frank what kind of payment plan do you offer?
Originally Posted by 99,s10
a day or two since the trans shop the truck has had a rough idol...i checked to see if it was a vacuum leak because thats just what it felt like...wasnt, so i just keep on ridding it like that for a couple of days...now there is a problem that seems to be getting worse and worse...it seems when i get on the gas a little the truck is being tugged by a rope from the back 2 or 3 times..whats the deal ?
We have layaway but no payment credit plan.
SCAN for codes

Call 888-744-6542