LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help me make a cam swap parts list

Old 04-19-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help me make a cam swap parts list

Ok guys I have to install my headers (came with the car but weren't put on)

So I was talking to my friend who works on F bodies all the time and he said it will be easiest if we just drop the engine out, so I figured why not go ahead and do a cam at the same time, even if I have to wait a little longer.

I'm going to get a custom grind from advanced induction with duration numbers similar to their 226/234 cam and no more than .565-.570 lift.

Now before anyone says "just buy the AI cam kit" the reason I'm doing it this way is I want to slowly gather the parts as I have the funds and when I have everything needed, then do the swap, instead of dropping 1100 bucks all at once. Although I know they do put together a nice kit.

So, how bout suggestions on rockers, pushrods, springs, gaskets, etc.

So far I'm thinking
Pro-Mags or SS rockers from the one guy on here. Cant remember the site name but have it saved at home, theyr'e like 160 bucks. 1.6 ratio

TF pushrods after I measure and determine the correct length needed

Springs? No idea but I want a good valve spring. Maybe a comp beehive?

LS7 Lifters

What else? What do you guys recommend for intake gaskets and such.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll save more money by buying the package together. What's the point in slowly compiling parts when you can't do anything with them? I'd buy it all in one shot so there are no questions.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the opinion but that's not the route I'm going.

For one I plan to do 1.6 RRs and springs on the stock cam. So I will already have those.

I also like to do things in stages and see how each effects the performance of the car. Some like a huge gain all at once, I dont.

Regardless, I'm going to put my own kit together and would like opinions on the parts to use.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2009, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I did the same thing. I bought parts since the beginning of last winter and saved alot of money on ebay by not getting in a hurry. Here is my 2 cents...
1. With that much lift are you having head work done? If not you may have problems.
2. I would go with a NSA rocker, comp 7608 push rods and GMPP guide plates.
3. LS7 lifters are great if you have the extra cash. I like the comp "R" lifters
4. Use only fel-pro gaskets and go with all the ARP bolts you can afford.
5. Replace the timing chain.
6. I bought crane 10308-1 valve springs for my set up and they seem to be the best bang for the buck.

Hope this helps you and good luck..

Also I went with a 30lb injector too, don't forget to add in the tune also.....
Old 04-19-2009, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Oh yeah, I would add in a set of poly motor mounts to the list if your going long lubes.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

now would be a good time to do the opti and water pump, they have to both come off when you do the cam swap
Old 04-19-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why would I have trouble with that much lift on stock heads? I plan on getting AI ported heads in the future but want to run cam only now.

Along with the cam and headers will be a dynaspark opti, new wp, and taylor otvc wires. Got it all sitting there in boxes ready to go.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why not just use the parts list AI has with their cam swap kit as your shopping list??

You will have to ask them if whatever springs you look at will be OK, there is more to picking springs than straight lift capacity.

I ended up being unhappy with the GMPP guideplates the alignment was not perfect and the hardening mediocre, combined the two and they wore pretty badly in 8K miles and I went to Isky Adjustables.

On the rockers, you are not going to find Comp ProMagnums new for $160, you might find cheap ProComp garbage for that. A guy on another site recently almost lost his motor to ProComp shaft mounts when they shed needles throughout the engine. Make sure you buy a decent rocker.

Felpro makes a nice "conversion gasket kit" contains the oil pan, timing cover I believe rear main and water pump gaskets. You may say you don't want to do the pan gasket but look at the price of the kit once and I think you will go for it.

I like Felpro well enough for everything but the head gaskets, IMO their head gaskets should be left to built motors with a zero deck. The Victor Rienz intake gaskets are a little nicer, more like stock, but Felpro is about the same price and includes more in the kit.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks 96. I know the pro mags are more than that. The ss ones a guy sells are 160 though and seem to work well for others. Those are the $160 ones to which I was referring.

Are the gmpp guide plates the ones included in AI's kit?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

you will need a Cam.............. oh and a lot of time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me make a cam swap parts list