Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

oil smoke again

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil smoke again

Are any of you guys using the turbowerx oil return pumps? I have a C5 Corvette with twin turbo sts kit. I have had oil problems in the past and thought I had finally gotten rid of them. I was wrong. I am thinking of going with two return pumps. Oil restrictors are out of the question. I used one in October and wasted my turbos. I heard the new C6 kits came with two return pumps. Any info would be great.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think some one use a single mocal pump on a twin sts tho. But I really think the relays set up on those is the cause of some issues. Try new relays and see what happens
Old 04-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of going to twin pumps with an oil cooler and do my own wiring. I am tired of the smoke. I put in .063 restrictors in October in an attempt to help with the smoke. I went to a track rental and the sts oil pressure alarm went off during the first pass. They have an alarm to let you know if you have pressure on the inlet side of the pump. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw nothing but smoke. I had checked the turbos shaft play the night before and they were fine. I wasted the left turbo. They were six 8 months old with about 2000 miles on them. I bought new bigger turbos and we are smoking again. I am going to call sts today and see what happens.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason I freakin hate my STS Kit

Please man pm some info if you find anything and yeah I hear twin pumps will be better.

I have the mocal pump its working great but still sometimes when I'm driving normally I see some smoke in the rear veiw mirror the car is an oil eater.

Please dont forget the pm.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DLong
Thanks for the info. I am thinking of going to twin pumps with an oil cooler and do my own wiring. I am tired of the smoke. I put in .063 restrictors in October in an attempt to help with the smoke. I went to a track rental and the sts oil pressure alarm went off during the first pass. They have an alarm to let you know if you have pressure on the inlet side of the pump. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw nothing but smoke. I had checked the turbos shaft play the night before and they were fine. I wasted the left turbo. They were six 8 months old with about 2000 miles on them. I bought new bigger turbos and we are smoking again. I am going to call sts today and see what happens.
Out of curiosity, what oil pump do you have?

A high output oil pump delivers far too much pressure to the turbos, and even the better Turbowerx pump has trouble keeping it flowing back into the motor. Redoing the **** wiring they provide is an EXCELLENT idea. A lot of problems with the original STS pumps were voltage related.

Did you tap the oilpan and delete the BS STS PCV?

FWIW, I stepped down to an .058 and I get no smoke with a ported SLP pump on my built 6.0/76mm remote mount.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

The car is a Z06 and has the factory ls6 oil pump. The return pump is the sts original. I deleted their pcv setup and put in a vacuum pump. I also tapped the pan for the return. There is a guy on the forum that has a write up for the this problem. As I said earlier I won't use a restrictor again. It helped with the smoke but I am not sure which killed my turbos, the restrictor or the pump failing.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by venom ws7
The only reason I freakin hate my STS Kit

Please man pm some info if you find anything and yeah I hear twin pumps will be better.

I have the mocal pump its working great but still sometimes when I'm driving normally I see some smoke in the rear veiw mirror the car is an oil eater.

Please dont forget the pm.
Guys, I installed a check valve, restrictor, and a brass flow control needle valve from Mcmaster-Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/435/=1j1hwn This is all before the turbo.

I am also using the Mocal pump, and the drain tube has a 5 inch drop from the outlet then goes to a u shape before it is sucked up by the pump. I get zero smoke.

Do you run the pump at 12 volts full time? My flow control valve keeps pressure to a trickle and the check valve prevents oil from pooling up.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

The reason the pressure's building on the inlet side is there's too much going in for the sump to evacuate. Are the Vette turbos located above the mounting point of the return pump?

FWIW, I am replacing a turbo as well...

Old 11-30-2009, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

^^^ good kill, thug!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Pump

This is exactly why i make these Johnson's HTP mechanical turbo scavanging pump kits.The electrical ones are hourly rated and are fairly cheap when compared to mine,,, but this is what happens when you depend on the cheaper electrical pumps.(It isn't (if)with these,,, its (when)! Put an mechanical on and be done with it!
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...20pump%20pics/

Last edited by barnat; 12-01-2009 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: oil smoke again