LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car not running after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not running after rebuild

I just got everything in and hooked up tonight during the tornado's. lol. I didnt hook any of the egr lines back up and i didnt put the air pump back on. I bought the car with no motor or trans, so im just trying to make sure it will run before i spend the money on a tune. I did get it to start once spraying carb cleaner into the intake, but it was idling rough. And it wont even do that again. I know it needs tuned bad, but will not hooking the egr stuff up without a tune cause it to not run all together??? I was thinking it would run, just rough.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Launching!

need some more info
Old 04-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Well, we drained the tank and put fresh gas in. turned the pump on and made sure it come out of the lines before plugin em in. Checked the spark. Everything seems to be plugged in. Its seems like its not getting steady fuel, because once it cranked on the starting fluid, it would only idle for 2 seconds. Im no professional mechanic, but all that runs through my mind would be the injector pulse, rockers adjusted wrong(doubt it), or the tune.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Launching!

yeah it seems like its not doing something. i wouldnt think it was the tune. it should start at least
Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Teching In

ok, i guess ill check the injector pulse, next. If thats not it, ill check the valves, but it would be alot easier to adjust them if the car would actually run.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You said the EGR is not hooked up.
How is it left unhooked? If the EGR itself is not there or even if it is there but stuck open that would be a massive vacuum leak.

When you adjusted valvetrain how did you find zero lash?
Can you hear the compression strokes?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

im betting injectors. sounds just like my firebird did when i thought my pump died. turns out it was plugged injectors from a rust crossover tube on the rail assembly
Old 04-21-2009, 07:10 AM
Teching In

I pluged all the egr holes and im going to have it tuned, i just wanted to make sure it ran good first before i put more money in it. I bought the car in pieces with a rebuilt vette lt1, therefore i didnt adjust the lash myself. It was backfiring when i was trying to crank it last night, so i starts backing off on the rocker. As i did it got better and better. I think i went 2 1/2 turn before i get the least little tick. lol. Someone torqued em down i guess. It will crank and idle now. I guess the rest is in the tune for the egr.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:12 AM
11 Second Club

Relash the rockers. If it has polylocks zero lash is when the nut touches the rocker, if you actually put torque on the nut with your fingers you have put some preload in already.

There is a LOT of bad info out there about how to lash rockers and it is done wrong a LOT. I have never found a need to do it running either.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You are correct only if you know what you are doing, What I have seen where a novice tries to adjust the rockers with out the engine running is that they start tightening the rocker nut until they get preload then turn like a quarter turn, but then they go back after the lifter has bled down and do it again and again until they have actually bottomed out the lifter. Get your preload, go a quarter or half turn then leave it....
Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

Good point on "don't go back".

A decade or so ago the first time I adjusted rockers I did the "spin the pushrod" thing and even as a novice I quickly realized that was wrong, even though it is the most commonly recommended way to do it. The other thing I realized is that a "lifter tick" is almost never a lifter but rather an exhaust manifold leak.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Teching In

I adjusted the rockers yesterday, and it still seems to far off just to need a tune. It will crank and idle after you hold the gas for a sec, but when you give it gas after idle it shuts off. Could it still just be the tune or does it need something else? The was 1 wire i left off i didnt know what was. It was coming outa the loom with the starter wires and the knock sensor. It didnt have a connection on it so i didnt hook it up. I was told it might be a ground for the pcm.

Quick Reply: Car not running after rebuild