Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple T-56 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Couple T-56 questions

Is anyone able to say for sure whether the 'backup light switch' and the 'neutral safety switch' are the same part number?? This Summit page leads me to believe that they could be...

Also - I need all of the "ancillary stuff" that goes in the sides of my transmission - stuff like the complete VSS setup, backup light/neutral safety switches, reverse lockout assembly, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get that stuff for the most reasonable price?? (I do already have the clutch/flywheel assembly, shifter, etc.)

Thanks all.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What are you putting this into ?.. is it a auto car or a manual car in the 1st place?

The backup switch is on the passenger side lower part of the trans, just wire it up to your old wiring system to turn on the backup lights. I just ran some wire from the oem reverse harness to the switch on the trans.

For the Reverse lockout, I used a linelock switch type with 12+ source and ground to the two terminals on the lockout.

If I am not mistaken, the T56 setup would not have a neutral safety switch as like a A4. you will need to wire up the clutch pedal switch as any normal GM car, I don't use one myself. Just have to be carefull not to try and start the car with it in gear without stepping on the clutch.

The VSS sensor should just be wired up as the wiring harness needs it to be to the PCM.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bczee
What are you putting this into ?.. is it a auto car or a manual car in the 1st place?
It's going into my Firebird, which was originally equipped with a 700R4 auto.

The backup switch is on the passenger side lower part of the trans, just wire it up to your old wiring system to turn on the backup lights. I just ran some wire from the oem reverse harness to the switch on the trans.
Right, gotcha - just need to buy the backup light switch...

For the Reverse lockout, I used a linelock switch type with 12+ source and ground to the two terminals on the lockout.
Well, it looks like I don't even have the lockout - just a few holes on each side of the trans...

If I am not mistaken, the T56 setup would not have a neutral safety switch as like a A4. you will need to wire up the clutch pedal switch as any normal GM car, I don't use one myself. Just have to be carefull not to try and start the car with it in gear without stepping on the clutch.
Yeah, I should've called it a "clutch safety switch", but I had the terminology from that listing in my head... And, thinking about it that way, it's fairly apparent that you couldn't use the same part for both, since one goes into the side of the trans, & the other goes on the pedal assembly...

Thanks for the response bczee.

Oh, I thought of one other question as I was typing this - is there an easy/cheap way to plug the hole for the skip-shift solenoid? Any suggestions for that would be appreciated.

Thanks all.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There was a thread in here about that a few months ago. The guy used freeze plugs for the lockout and cags.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ut-delete.html

See if you can guess who posted in it? LOL
Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by topher455
There was a thread in here about that a few months ago. The guy used freeze plugs for the lockout and cags.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ut-delete.html

See if you can guess who posted in it? LOL
NIIIIICE! Thanks for the pointer to it, guess I should've saved that one (or searched a little better )...
Old 04-21-2009, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Search does seem to work better but it is still a crapshoot. Oh well you owe me a beer.

Quick Reply: Couple T-56 questions