Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0L 68 Camaro Conv Questions

Old 04-20-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0L 68 Camaro Conv Questions

Hi Everyone,

I am beginning the swap of a 6.0L out of a 05 Hummer H2 into my 68 Camaro Convertible and I have a few questions. Any help that you can offer would be appreciated. My original plan was to use the GMPP intake with a Holley 750 and a 700R4. I have recently seen some Novas using the stock truck intake with no hood clearance issues. Will the truck intake clear on a non-cowl induction hood in the Camaro? If so with what mounts? Also, what mount/header combination would work the best?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Launching!

No to the clearance for the hood.
There's tons of header/mount combinations for 1st Gens....do a search...you'll find!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the help Fast. I was looking at the Edelbrock mounts and headers. I was hoping that they would allow the use of the truck intake.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:16 PM

Hey jindo i think you're More limited by the steering Linkage and oil pan clearance than the Manifold to hood clearance. What I mean is with my 68 using the factory steering you need a special oil pan or a heavily modified pan and oil pickup tube to get the LS1 to sit in the K member nicely once it's there It's easier to get a cowl hood or a different intake manifold anyway. Its a catch 22 really. The LS1 is basically sitting on the K member as it is... maybe 3/4" left under the oil pan. No engine mount is gonna go lower because there is no place to put the crank. (figuratively) Basically I just reached this point myself on sunday, now my question is how big of a deal is it to use the original automatic trans mount with the 4L60E (overdrive is longer but do i need to section and lower the crossmember to get the correct pitch?)
Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 PM

WrathFullPrimate,

I have been researching these posts for about a year, and I purchased a Hummer H2 6.0 hoping that the Hummer pan would work with the steering linkage (ie. BRP) and save a few bucks, but it appears that their mounts appear to raise and shift forward. It might be less expensive to just go with a cowl hood, but I am weiging the cost of going with the truck intake/cowl hood vs. carburetor (hopefully will fit). I like the look of the carburetor with the coil packs, but want the fuel efficiency of the EFI. I may just have to go with the Autokraft pan, Edelbrock mounts/headers, and my original plan of the GMPP Intake/Holley 750. I plan to use this for weekend shows/cruises, but want to be able to jump in and drive it anywhere. Thoughts anyone?

jindo
Old 04-21-2009, 04:19 AM

Thats cool that the hummer pan will get you where you need I haven't seen that yet basically stopped looking after i got my moroso pan. (which wasnt that bad if I rememeber right) Anyway you might see if any of these folks that upgraded to better intake have any cheap parts laying around to buy/trade your truck parts for.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

if the truck intake and accessories don't fit with a flat hood, they won't fit with a cowl hood either. I'd drop it in what you've got and see how close it is. This isn't a 1-weekend project--if you don't have all the parts ordered in advance, it's not like going to make a big impact on when you actually get it running.

If it doesn't fit, my suggestion would be Victor Jr EFI intake, KwikPerf accessory brackets, and Edelbrock 3878 throttle body, and a speed-density tune. That'd be sweet.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:16 PM

Rodder,

Those are are great suggestions. Point well taken...this is going to be a long process, so I might as well just put throw it in and see what I have. I will start a thread monitoring the progress. BTW, nice car....a pic of mine is attached.

jindo
Attached Thumbnails 6.0L 68 Camaro Conv Questions-dscf2226.jpg  
Old 04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Wish mine looked that good!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:19 PM

Rodder,

Like I said earlier....weekend show car, but it is a dog. It has the original 327 with a Edelbrock Perfomer intake, Edelbrock 600, and long tubes with the original Powerglide. My plan is to give it some go with the carbureted 6.0L/700R4, and be able to drive to the shows and the beach. I want to keep the classic look, but want to be able to drive it anywhere. I wish that I had your motor/trans setup, but the wife wants to be able to drive it as well. Oh well, I compromise where I have to.

jindo
Old 04-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Make sure you do a start a thread and place a lot of pics this looks to be a good build. I am curious as well, on the hod issue.

Search other threads a lot of info in here.

also pm sent on the edelbrock parts.

Last edited by 71 chevelle; 04-22-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.0L 68 Camaro Conv Questions