Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Oil Pressure on Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No Oil Pressure on Start Up

I just finished putting my engine back together and ran into a problem with no oil pressure.

I installed heads, new Comp cam, new Comp timing chain, Comp lifters, and TSP ported LS6 oil pump. I started the car and shut it down after approx. 3 sec due to no pressure. I verified all wiring to both my factory and Auto Meter pillar gauge, then restarted and shut it back down after about 3 sec., still no oil Pressure; motor is was not producing any noise, all sounded smooth. I removed the driver’s side valve cover and saw there was no oil getting up there.

This was my first time working on an LS motor, but I am fairly mechanically inclined and don’t think I could have installed the pump wrong…doesn’t seem like you really can install it wrong. Could it just be a bad pump?! Are there any newbie mistakes anyone can think of that can lead to this? I very well could have made a stupid mistake.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fasttimes1
I just finished putting my engine back together and ran into a problem with no oil pressure.

I installed heads, new Comp cam, new Comp timing chain, Comp lifters, and TSP ported LS6 oil pump. I started the car and shut it down after approx. 3 sec due to no pressure. I verified all wiring to both my factory and Auto Meter pillar gauge, then restarted and shut it back down after about 3 sec., still no oil Pressure; motor is was not producing any noise, all sounded smooth. I removed the driver’s side valve cover and saw there was no oil getting up there.

This was my first time working on an LS motor, but I am fairly mechanically inclined and don’t think I could have installed the pump wrong…doesn’t seem like you really can install it wrong. Could it just be a bad pump?! Are there any newbie mistakes anyone can think of that can lead to this? I very well could have made a stupid mistake.
uh oh... so when you replaced the oil pump on did you take great care with the o-ring? very common problem and very easy to screw up if your not careful. if you pinched or otherwise damaged that o ring the pump wont be able to create a vacuum and pick up the oil out of the pan... might have to do some digging into the motor.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also you must be careful to center the pump when you reinstall it. Be sure there is at least .002 all the way around the outer ring of the pump gear. It sounds like you have damaged or omitted the pickup o-ring though.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

I was so unsure about that o-ring when I was installing it, that I actually removed the pick up tube like 5 times to make sure I had it in ther right...but that is not to say I may have screwed it up on the 5th time.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

I did use feeler gauges to center the pump, i'm going to pull it back apart this evening, it could be that damn o-ring that I was so worried about.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

You motor is probably ok - I would try it again. Two 3-seconds shots may not be enough to see oil pressure. Time is relative and those are some of the longest seconds.

Last edited by Gary Z; 04-20-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

I wasn't sure if it was long enough, but I didn't want to risk running it any longer. I thought for sure after the 2nd time I should see something. Car was idling somewhere around 1500 rpm's, so I assumed I that would have been more reason to see pressure quickly. The car has been sitting for about 6 months now, so it is probably pretty dry in there, don't want to ruin a bearing.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Before you tear down your engine and check the o ring, I suggest you overfill the crank with cheap 5w30 oil. Before doing so pull the plug on the driver side lower front which is just past the oil pump. It took 19 qts for mine to flow out this hole but I have a modied pan and it only holds 5.5 qts when full. I pulled my engine out 3 times, installed 3 new oil rings, double bolted the pickup tube, added rtv and still no pressure. Turns out the problem was the pump was dry and would not prime it self. Once I got oil in the pump it has worked every sense. There are other ways to prime it but I think you need a special kit. Turn the engine over without starting it. Once you see pressure drain out the oil and fill it to normal level and start the engine. It worked for me, might save you time and a headache pulling the engine and dropping the pan.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rockytopper
Before you tear down your engine and check the o ring, I suggest you overfill the crank with cheap 5w30 oil. Before doing so pull the plug on the driver side lower front which is just past the oil pump. It took 19 qts for mine to flow out this hole but I have a modied pan and it only holds 5.5 qts when full. I pulled my engine out 3 times, installed 3 new oil rings, double bolted the pickup tube, added rtv and still no pressure. Turns out the problem was the pump was dry and would not prime it self. Once I got oil in the pump it has worked every sense. There are other ways to prime it but I think you need a special kit. Turn the engine over without starting it. Once you see pressure drain out the oil and fill it to normal level and start the engine. It worked for me, might save you time and a headache pulling the engine and dropping the pan.

I have heard of that happening but never experienced it. Did you lube up the inside of the pump before you closed it back up?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

No my engine was used with 38k and had been sitting for years before I installed it. I purchased the modied oil pan and tube from S&P and called them when the problem occured. They said they had seen this probelm before and told me to stuff vasoline in the pump and reinstall the pickup tube and o-ring. I did that and it still did not prime. I was about to stick a gun to my head when I told myself screw it. If it is the o ring I will know for sure if I over fill it past the ring and put oil in the pump itself. And common sense told me if it did not work then I had a bad pump or other problem and not a o ring problem.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unplug your wiring harness on each side of the valve covers where the coil pack harness plugs in and turn the engine over for a few seconds until you build oil pressure. It will take a few tense seconds for the pump to push oil to the top of the motor where the oil pressure sensor is. Once you have pressure, plug the coil pack harness back in and fire the engine.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well when we did my buddys car it took about 10 sec for oil to build up i think ur fine just not letting it run long enough on his we also did H/C/I and 10296 pump and after it ran for a bit it had oil pressure instantly everytime it started
Old 04-20-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much assembly lube did you use? Unplug your coil packs and pull your plugs out so there is no pressure on the bearings when you turn the motor over (this is a must). Hook up a battery charger and let the motor turn over with no plugs and fuel pump fuse pulled. When I primed my fresh motor this way it built up ~35-40 psi. Took about 15-20 seconds
Old 04-20-2009, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Sweet, Ill try this in a little while.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes pulling the plugs will give alot more cranking rpm which will help if you've got a bitchy pump.

Rocky topper: good thinking. Arent cars great?? I cant believe I do this crap for a living and then come home and do it for "fun"
Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just cranked my motor (new cam, springs, PR's, oil pump) that had been sitting for 3 years. I packed the pump with vasoline and spun it over with the plugs out. Still took 10 sec's to get pressure.

Russ
Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

All is good! Thanks for all your input, much appreciated.

I went ahead and pulled the plugs, coil pack connectors, and injector connectors (started smelling pretty rich after cranking it a bit), then turned the motor. Took about 3-4 times of cranking it for about 10 seconds to see the pressure. I pulled the driver's side valve cover to ensure oil was up there, and all was good. Put it all back together and started it up, sounds good and oil pressure is fine.

And here I was ready to come home from work today and start pulling off the pump...
Old 04-20-2009, 10:52 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

What is your pressure now that you have it? That O-ring causes quite a scare sometimes, good to see yours seemed to seal up fine. I use a generous coating of assembly lube on both the o-ring and the pump inlet to help avoid pinching or cutting the o-ring. I've had several customers have self-install issues that I had to go back into and fix, when it was just the o-ring.

FWIW the TSP pumps come ready-to-install and pre-lubed to assist getting oil pressure quicker, many other brands come dry and need either oil or some liquid assembly lube on the gears to alleviate priming issues.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:54 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Or you can just pull the fuel pump fuse and spin the motor over till it gets pressure

TSP pumps are good though. Use 'em all the time
Old 05-04-2009, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

I am having this same problem. My motor runs for about 3 seconds or so then dies. The motor has been sitting for about a year and a half. I have started it for 3 seconds a lot though like 10 times to check different things I thought were the problem. I am now afraid to try and turn it over. Should I try over filling it with oil like the one guy suggested. Where is the plug he is talking about too? Please help.

Quick Reply: No Oil Pressure on Start Up