Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car started smoking on start-up...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car started smoking on start-up...

I recently ran my car in the Texas Mile, and after looking at the video noticed the car smoked a little during one of my gear changes. Then when I went to leave it blew a pretty big cloud of smoke out. I let the car sit for a while and finally got around to washing it yesterday and it did it again, just not as bad. When I started it to pull it back in it did not smoke until i gave it a little gas. My dad says valve seals, but Im not sure. The smoke is most def. white and does not smell like oil, but I just wanted to see what some of you guys thought. Thanks for reading such a long post but I wanted to give as much info as I could.

Thanks,
Wade
Old 04-21-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oil is blue and black. Water is white. You might have a head gasket leak or as you said you let the car sit for a while which allows moisture to settle in the exhaust and when it heads up it blows out of the tale pipes.

Most cars do smoke when they shift though. I would not think any thing of it unless you start to notice that when you change your oil there is less in the pan than you put in. Also make sure to check your coolant levels.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:29 PM
11 Second Club

Fuel is a light blue, often mistaken for white if you're not paying close attention. If it does it when it has been sitting a while leaky injector could be a possibility too.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys, ill have to do some checkin now.