Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: How realiable is your procharger, p1sc or d1sc not really intersted in pb600 owners.
My p1sc or d1sc is very reliable
89.91%
My p1sc or d1sc is not very reliable.
10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2016, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Procharger problems and reliability poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Procharger problems and reliability poll

I want to know how reliable prochargers really are from people that are running them not from sponsors.

I have found numerous reviews of problems ,some with head units that procharger refused to fix under warranty,some with belt slippage and breakage,some with tales of crappy install manuals and horrible customer service. Of course some happy customers or wouldn't be asking since wanted to get a procharger on my 96z most likely a p1sc but maybe a d1sc.

So lets hear if you have had problems. What mileage you have on your procharger .How the company has been for warranty and customer service. Also how annoying the procharger is at idle..how much rattling it has or have the newer designs stopped the idle rattling? How do you find the install manual and the install itself.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:57 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've personally ran 4 prochargers ranging from P1 to F1, and I have never had a problem at all due to the head unit itself..
Old 04-21-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a D1 years ago ran fine no issues service was ok car got stolen so that end the fun

Brought a F1C 1.5 years ago love the thing pure sex. service was great dealing with procharger was better then great they really helped me out cause i was doing a semi custom install. So far about 15k miles on F1C still on first belt. no issues. Installed was med easy just took my time no rushing about 2 day working in my driveway .

I love the sound of the F1C procharger. People want to record the sound they like it so much. Even the girls i date, first thing they ask is why the car sound like that. I tell them and thats the end of it or they love it cause it sounds like a little jet when flying by. at idle with hood closed barley hear it D1 was alot quieter
Old 04-21-2009, 02:41 PM
FormerVendor

We have been installing ProChargers for over 6 years and have only sent three back And only one of them was a issue with the unit itself. I have easily installed over 400 units personally and never had 1 problem with any warranty situations from ProCharger.

Brent
Old 04-21-2009, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

They are extremely reliable, however, they are known to leak. Mine was repaired under warranty, replaced the shaft o-ring.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:06 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

The only problems I've had since 2001 with my P1sc has been the cracked intake hat and a little leaking. The plastic hats tend to break in stupid places, I just epoxied it back together and its been great since.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Well souding good so far. Looks like maybe the more recent prochargers are nice and reliable.
Keep it coming guys...
Old 04-21-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Well wasnt' goin to link this but this is what I was reading when I searched under procharger reliability.But as said mabye most of this was from a few years ago and the newer models are improved. It would help if they listed them like p1sc third generation or something to that effect. I will for sure be getting new kit if do get one.

Here is that link of customer reviews..

http://www.carreview.com/mfr/prochar...5_2877crx.aspx
Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I seem to see more good than bad but I only read the first page. I have had a d1sc on my camaro for 5 years and not one problem with it. Infact it has outlasted 2 motors so I think that has to say somthing good about them. Install is easy if you are even just a little bit automotive enclined. It took me about 7-8 hours the first time and now im sure I could do it in just a few. good luck. If you decide to go procharger i think you will be happy.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

no issues here, 30,000+ miles...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

never had a problem with my d1, had it on 2 cars now for a total of 25000+ miles
Old 04-22-2009, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

the only problem ive had is with the headunit. over the summer, i had to send it in, apparently some dirt got in and messed up one of the races. the repair was a couple hundred bucks.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I want to know how reliable prochargers really are from people that are running them not from sponsors.

I have found numerous reviews of problems ,some with head units that procharger refused to fix under warranty,some with belt slippage and breakage,some with tales of crappy install manuals and horrible customer service. Of course some happy customers or wouldn't be asking since wanted to get a procharger on my 96z most likely a p1sc but maybe a d1sc.

So lets hear if you have had problems. What mileage you have on your procharger .How the company has been for warranty and customer service. Also how annoying the procharger is at idle..how much rattling it has or have the newer designs stopped the idle rattling? How do you find the install manual and the install itself.
Procharger ALWAYS handled any issue I had with my unit. As a matter of fact, they have gone above and beyond the call of duty. Their tech guys were very knowledgeable and helpful.

They have done things for me they did not have to do without charging for it. Procharger has demonstrated to me they valued me as a customer.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Well so far looking great. How noisy are the d1sc and ps1sc at idle. Not talking whistle talking gear rattle.? Are the newer ones quieter than the old ones?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

when i switched to a spring loaded (SDCE) tensioner it took away all the gear rattle, dunno what the new ATI tensioner is, but the SDCE one works good.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

How much is that SDCE tensioner.I dont like gear rattle? Anyone confirm the newest ati kits don't have the rattle?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think my SDCE was 750, but i had to send em my J-bracket. If i had to do it all over again, i would order up a SDCE bracket, find a good used D1 head, get a front mount kit from Bob at EPP and put a fuel system together myself. I think that it would be a better setup and cheaper than ordering the kit right from ATI. Not that the kit from ATI is bad, Im just cheap

Or you can avoid all the thinking and just call EPP, they are great to deal with and dont kill you on cost.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:16 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to the OP, i don't know why you keep referring to the prochargers like the "newer versions" are better, etc.. The P1SC1 or D1SC are the same units that they have been selling and have had in service for many many years. Buy prochargers with confidence, and don't worry about it man. You gotta know that for every freak horror story you hear about, there are hundreds, if not thousands of satisfied customers that have said nothing, because there was nothing bad to report. Same goes for all the people who do take the time to relay their success stories with procharger- there are hundreds if not thousands more with similar good results that don't post up about it..
Old 04-22-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem I had was with a used head unit. Old and had probably not been well maintained before I got it, lesson there is buy it right the first time.

They're kit though is easy to install for the intercoolers and piping. I didn't have any rattling that I can remember though I didn't use the stock bracket.

As for customer service the guys over there have been more than helpful. They have always willing to answer my questions.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
to the OP, i don't know why you keep referring to the prochargers like the "newer versions" are better, etc.. The P1SC1 or D1SC are the same units that they have been selling and have had in service for many many years. Buy prochargers with confidence, and don't worry about it man. You gotta know that for every freak horror story you hear about, there are hundreds, if not thousands of satisfied customers that have said nothing, because there was nothing bad to report. Same goes for all the people who do take the time to relay their success stories with procharger- there are hundreds if not thousands more with similar good results that don't post up about it..
Well if you read on that posted link there were lots of very unhappy procharger campers. But happy that you and many others on here have had good luck. Its not cheap to get a new kit even for my lt1.
Many companies do have different revisions like magnacharger for example. fourth gen,fifth gen...

I see no reason for all those guys giving those reviews I linked to lie but some of those reviews were pretty old. Some were not that old however. I bought my aps kit and read on their website how the turbos were bulletproof and now finding maybe not. So just because procharger claims they are reliable and all that still want to hear it from people that are actually running them. And so far its looking pretty good.

I have been in two procharged cars near stock lt1 fourth gen and near stock ls1 with d1. Both were pretty impressive ,the ls1 was auto and needed a stall to get going or some more gearing. The lt1 was six speed and blew up when guy tried to tighen up the slipping belt too much. Engine was stock. He sold the kit so never did see it work with built motor.

Quick Reply: Procharger problems and reliability poll