Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Not your average window motor question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not your average window motor question

I replaced my window motors before (a few years ago, now). Recently, I've been having a problem getting the window to move at all.

For the passenger window; when I press the down button on the driver's side, sometimes it won't go down (or up). I'll lean over and hit the button on the passenger's side, and the same thing, nothing happens. I have to hit the down button on both sides at the same time in order to get the window to start working again. After that, I can use either side's button in order to get it to work, but holding both buttons doesn't always work, either.

Does anyone have an idea what's causing this? It isn't the same problem I had when I replaced the motor (window goes down, but only goes up 1-2" at a time).

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

My bet is that your passenger motor is bad again...

The two switches on the driver's side are isolated from one another, so operating them at the same time should not do anything for you functionally. (That being said, the passenger portion of the drivers switch is hooked up to the switch on the passenger side - but that doesn't seem to be your issue.)

Maybe the voltage spike/drop when you try to operate both motors at the same time is such that its kicking your gimpy motor in to shape?

Hopefully you got a lifetime motor the last time you installed them? If so, trying a new motor shouldn't cost you anything.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
My bet is that your passenger motor is bad again...
Well the problem "fixes" itself when I press both passenger side window buttons, not one passenger one driver.

But I found the receipt for the motor last night, and will pickup a replacement this evening after work. Worse comes to worst, I just spend some time screwing around with the motor. I need to take the door panels off anyway to replace the speakers.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

if the new motor doesnt work then this might.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2055
Old 04-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushead
Well the problem "fixes" itself when I press both passenger side window buttons, not one passenger one driver.
Right, I don't think the fixing is coming from the buttons here, but from the "flavor" of electricity the car feeds to the troubled motor when you operate both sides at the same time. If this is the case, then the kit that Falring Afro pointed out may do the fix, but - if you have a lifetime warranty on the motor, a full replacement of the motor may be an easier (and less expensive) way to go.