Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam and heads question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam and heads question

I have an '01 ls1 ss. The motor is basically stock minus a few minor bolt-ons. My next step is to do a cam and cylinder heads. I don't want to go too crazy with the lift on the cam but enough to see gains. I was thinking around .585 or something close. As for the cylinder heads i want to get ported ls6 heads and im looking to have my compressio around 11 to 1. I have been looking into patriot performance and texas speed. Anybody have any ideas of cam specs and what heads i should used or where i should look into buying them from? Thanks.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Look at the 228R cam from texas speed. Also to get the most out of your head/cam you'll want to upgrade the exhaust.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Teching In

I have slp lm1 catback right now. I still have the stock headers and cat on the car. I plan on getting longtubes and a high flow cat. But i have been looking at the texas speed cam/head packages. Im just looking for other opinions on specs and where to find them. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Banned

Hey man I was in your shoes 4 months ago, after i talked to a few guys I found a Guy that knows what hes doing with LS6 heads, and he set me up with a custom grind cam the is very mild, Sleeper style. Also i went with a ported 90 fast. so from that i went from 330RWHP with just longtubes and cold air to 448RWHP with the H/C/I through and A4. Is this something you are intersted in?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

see my mods in signature. Car screams on top end. Blast to drive.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Teching In

My goal is to eventually reach around 500rwhp. But i don't want to car to feel like a track car only. I wanna be able to drive it around town also. I wanna start with the cam and heads and then start working on the drivetrain and then eventually do a 383 stroker. I have an M6 car and i know that im gonna have to beef up the rearend and t56 before i get to 500rwhp. Im just looking for a start. I wanna do longtubes next with high flow cats and then cam and heads. Im just looking for cylinder head ideas and camshaft specs. I was looking at the TSP 228R and its not too much of a lift where i think there will be a rough idle so that seems like a possibility. any ideas and i would appreciate it.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a bunch of great combinations that will work. If you're looking to hit your 500 rwhp goal with stock cubes and retain smooth street driveability, that's going to be difficult to achieve without forced induction or N2O. If your planning to hit 500 rwhp with the 383 you have planned, that might be a little more feasible.

As for a good combo -- many of the recommendations in this thread are great. My combo is just another pairing that would work well for you. The car screams and still has excellent street manners -- my cam is on a 112 LSA and the car will still roll out of an idle without the need to push into the throttle -- enough said. My last N/A pulls were good for 440 rwhp and 408 rwtq. While the peak numbers aren't anything crazy, the car makes a TON of power in the low to mid-range portion of the band -- feels great with a 6-speed on the street, however finding traction can be a real issue.

Either way you can't go wrong with most of the combos listed in this thread.