Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underdrive question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Underdrive question

I was going to get an Underdrive pulley soon for my car, but I have a question. I was talking to people on my car club's website, and someone posted something about them not being good for the engine. They gave me a link to another thread, and I read that. It did make it sound like they weren't very good for the engine, but basically everybody i know here uses them, so what's the real deal? Here is the thread:
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~papa/foru...ead.php?t=9882
Old 04-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

I read the majority of that thread in the link you posted. It is a very well written and thought out post, no doubt. Dinan has a high quality product and there is surely some validity to what was posted. I will concede that Steve Dinan most likely knows a lot more about engines than I do but when it comes to underdrive pulleys on LS1 cars, I have yet to read about 1 failure where the pulley is responsible. Off the top of my head, the classic issues regarding UDP's have been: thrown serpentine belts, battery drain, poor alternator performance.

I would not let that thread deter me from getting a UDP.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

he talks a lot about the weight of the unit in the first few parts of that write up. many aftermarket pullies for our car are almost as heavy as the sotck unit just smaller. and they do as good or a better job of taking the vibration the crank shaft will make. like the above person said i have yet to see one person on here have a issue b/c of the pulley. i have had one on my car for almost 4 years with no issues at all.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:10 AM
12 Second Club

Alright, thanks guys. I was considering not getting one if that stuff was true. Like you though I had heard nothing about any problems like that on our cars...