Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Window Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Problem?

My driver's side window on my 99' TA randomly just stops working. I know it's not the motor because the window goes up and down just fine when it does work. It's only happened to me twice now. The first time it happend the window was working fine when I parked it that night and the next morning I went to try it and it didn't work... Then the next day it was working fine?

Now it's been about a month now and this morning the window was working fine. Then about 8 hours later I went to get in it and it wasn't working this time? So now I'm stuck with the window up. Also when I press on the switch it makes a click noise when I push it, like it's trying to work.

If anyone knows a solution to this please let me know.

Thanks,
JB.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Teching In

its most likely going to be your window motor is starting to go out. same thing happened to me but in a shorter period of time. it will just keep getting worse over time.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Well my passenger window motor has already went out before. But it would always work but just roll down or up a couple inches every 30 seconds - a minute. But like I said my problem with this is it's just not doing anything at all. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow it will start working again lol...
Old 04-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by JayBee
I know it's not the motor
Its the motor.

There are several different ways the motor can fail and this is one of them. I've had two go out like this. (Sputter for a while - OK for a couple of months - and then dead.)
Old 04-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried using the other window and radio when this happens. If it's just the window that stops working then I agree with the previous statements that it is your window motor regulator which is built into the motor itself.
If the other window and radio do not come on you may have an issue with your BCM. This is the module that is behind the glove box and can have a problem with a specific wire that can come loose. This makes the windows and radio turn off if on or just not work at all. If that's the case then there is a post on here somewhere that someone did where you can add a little solder to the loose connection and fix the problem.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Mine did the same thing on my 02...in 03....less than 10k miles.....worked for about 6 years and another 45k miles and started doing the same thing again.....goddman junky GM ****!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I was just thinking it wouldn't be the motor because when it does work the window goes up and down as smooth as ever.

But anyway I got in the car about 2 hours after I made this thread and it was working fine again. Ehh I guess we'll just see what happens.

Thanks guys.