PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck PCM in F-body

Old 04-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Truck PCM in F-body

I've got a person putting a 5.3 from a truck into 1st gen RX7. Right now I've got an 02 f-body harness in my 93 RX7 and since his car isn't wired yet I wanted to check and see if I'd be able to plug his truck PCM into my fbody harness so that I can read/write to it and remove VATS and other unneeded junk without causing any problems. If anyone has ever tried this I'd really appreciate some input as I don't want to toast his PCM.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skele4door
I've got a person putting a 5.3 from a truck into 1st gen RX7. Right now I've got an 02 f-body harness in my 93 RX7 and since his car isn't wired yet I wanted to check and see if I'd be able to plug his truck PCM into my fbody harness so that I can read/write to it and remove VATS and other unneeded junk without causing any problems. If anyone has ever tried this I'd really appreciate some input as I don't want to toast his PCM.

Should be absolutely no problem at all. But just for the heck of it, post the numbers from the ecu here, and I'll run an interchange check just to make sure.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by salemetro
Should be absolutely no problem at all. But just for the heck of it, post the numbers from the ecu here, and I'll run an interchange check just to make sure.
what year is the truck PCM?? it may be ok, and it may be a disaster if you plug it in...

If the connecters are labeled red/blue you will be fine (this denotes a 99-03 LS1 512kb PCM) The 04 Vette,GTO and newer Trucks use a PCM that looks identical to the F-Body PCM but is in fact a 1 MB PCM, and will be color coded Green/Blue and will not work if you plug it into a F-Body harness, i have never done this but i would imagine you most likely will nuke the PCM if you do this.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
what year is the truck PCM?? it may be ok, and it may be a disaster if you plug it in...

If the connecters are labeled red/blue you will be fine (this denotes a 99-03 LS1 512kb PCM) The 04 Vette,GTO and newer Trucks use a PCM that looks identical to the F-Body PCM but is in fact a 1 MB PCM, and will be color coded Green/Blue and will not work if you plug it into a F-Body harness, i have never done this but i would imagine you most likely will nuke the PCM if you do this.

You don't have to worry, since it will not plug in. That why the plugs are color coded.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by poconojoe
You don't have to worry, since it will not plug in. That why the plugs are color coded.
Depends on the condition of the connectors on the harness, if the colored pieces are broken/worn it can plug in, ive seen it happen. But generally, if everything is in good condition you are correct it should not plug in
Old 04-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you going to use this PCM to run the RX7? If so, you can repin the harness and buy a new connector (assuming it is the newer, different plug) and make it work.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:46 PM
11 Second Truck Club

i currently have a 99 silverado ecu in my 01 Z-28, plugs in no problem, changed op-system and vin#, it works fine, just isnt tuned yet................ ecu that was in it was a texas speed mail order tune and was locked, so i swapped it with a virgin truck ecu and put efi live on it
Old 04-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help guys. I'll have the owner take a peek at his PCM connectors to make sure he jhas red/blue ones. Since someone asked the 5.3 is going into a 1st generation RX7 of one of a guy that semi-local to me. Mine is a 02 harness and PCM into a 93 chassis.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Is the owner of the RX7 going to use a cable or fly by wire throttle control?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Doc
Is the owner of the RX7 going to use a cable or fly by wire throttle control?
I'd assume he's probably going to convert over to a cable TB since I've only heard of a few people taking the time to retrofit the TBW pedal into an RX7. It's usually just a lot easier to move to a cable setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck PCM in F-body