Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 alternator bad? Water the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 alternator bad? Water the cause?

Kinda curious how much water an ls1 alternator can take. Been driving my car almost 2 weeks now issue free(for the most part)(5.3 into v6 camaro) and tonight coming home from work I notice my blinkers are REALLY slow, theyve always been slow but now there bearly flashing. Look down and the volt meeter showing about 10volts, roughly halfway between the 8 and 13.

The last couple days its wined on startup for a minute(never a good sign), and today it appears dead, measured 11.9 on our electrical tester.

My question is, I bought it used from a member here a long time ago, could it just be bad? Or did all this rain and water on the road have something to do with it?(Its been POURING here the last few days in lower MI) I know there is a rubber flap thing on ls1's protecting the alt, which I never found for my swap so I could never install one. What are the chances of a new one getting fried from this, the flap only protects one side anyway?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Made ALOT of noise on my way to class today, but it charged the first 2 or 3 minutes. Then it quit, I think its definitely on its way out.