Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuilding my trans and hit a snag, need some help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rebuilding my trans and hit a snag, need some help please

ok so i started my rebuild and ran into a problem. im working on the input drum now and i installed a sonnax sleeve kit for the splines. the problem is the kit came with the aluminum overrun piston with the o-ring for the inner seal but no outer seal and my rebuild kit doesnt have one for it.(transtec seal kit) is the inner supposed to be a seal or an o-ring and where can i get it?. also the kit says i have to use the earlier aluminum forward piston(comes in lt1's i assume?) well i got that piston also but it came with no seals. so i need to get the inner and outer for the forward piston and the outer for the ovverrun piston. also why cant i use to the steel molded/rubber forward piston anyway? thanks for any help/advice in advance
Old 04-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Launching!

The overrun piston is machined with a larger ID to compensate for the sleeve. It's easier to machine that part than mold an all new steel/rubber piston. Sonnax has also released a billet forward clutch thats a nice addition cause mine was cracked. I'll PM you were I get my parts. What did you use to support the drum and you didn't cover the fluid exhaust hole right?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Your kit should have those seals unless it has all new molded pistons.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Your kit should have those seals unless it has all new molded pistons.
the kit came with molded pistons...
Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PedaltoMetal
The overrun piston is machined with a larger ID to compensate for the sleeve. It's easier to machine that part than mold an all new steel/rubber piston. Sonnax has also released a billet forward clutch thats a nice addition cause mine was cracked. I'll PM you were I get my parts. What did you use to support the drum and you didn't cover the fluid exhaust hole right?
right i understand that about the overrun piston. just the one i got with the reinforcement sleeve kit only came with the inner oring and not the outer seal which is one of the things i need. yeah i thought about getting the billit pistons but i decided to wait for the next build as im doing this on a limited budget. the next build no expense will be spared. i figured ill get this one done and then while im driving the car ill slowly build up the second one. i didnt block the holes and i installed mine using my 17 ton shop press using a nice 20lb weider plate from my weight set as the press plate. worked like a charm.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would double check that you didn't get the seal. If the sleeve came in the kit, then it should of came with the special inner oring it takes. The outer seal is just a lip seal.