Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

500 mile break in, how important?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 mile break in, how important?

Just installed a Monster Stage 3 with chromeoly fly wheel. We have a dyno day Saturday and I will probably only be able to get around 100 miles on the clutch before then. Enough of a break in, or am I asking for trouble? I usually break them in for 250 or so, but I don't have the time on this go around.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:59 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only clutch that the maker specifically state "NO BREAKIN REQUIRED" is Textralia, I cannot speak for Monster but they are a sponsor. I would PM them. I am sure he will see this post and comment. I would say it never hurts to be easy on it. For the clutches that NEED a breakin its ultra important for long term longivity so as long as the operator isnt a clutch slipping Savage.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Iron Ryan
Just installed a Monster Stage 3 with chromeoly fly wheel. We have a dyno day Saturday and I will probably only be able to get around 100 miles on the clutch before then. Enough of a break in, or am I asking for trouble? I usually break them in for 250 or so, but I don't have the time on this go around.
Just bought the same thing with almost 300 miles on it. Mine chatters a little bit but not as much when it was new. Steve said there was a 500 mile break in and I'm pretty sure if you abuse it before that break in time then you won't get covered by the warranty. IMO Mine still chatters so yours should too and I wouldn't push it just yet.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

do the 500 mile break in, or you will be in the same place I am, putting in another clutch today when it gets here.

but thanks to Steve being the nice guy he is, we made a deal and he sent me another clutch.

again do what steve says in the break in... it will save you the hassle and the money.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

Break it in, be patient and the clutch will last you a lot longer and you'll be happier in the end.

If you would like to give me a call at the shop to discuss this I'll be more than happy to do so.

Steve A.
Monster Clutch Co.
817-750-2000
Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info guys, I guess I will do the 500 mile break in and miss the dyno session. I guess this is what I get for waiting until the last minute!
On a side note, this clutch with the adjustable slave feels great. I have no chatter at all, and a nice feel to the peddle. Very happy with my choice so far.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just put in a ls7 clutch in my 04 gto, and the tech at the dealership said it wouldn't matter for the breakin period. he said when you go and buy a new zo6 505hp vette you are not going to baby it around for a month. you are going to *** rape it everytime you get in it. and those clutches last as long as any other. so the breakin thing he said was a mileage thing not so much as to how long the clutch will last. as in any manual tranny the more you rape the clutch the quicker it will wear out. i did do the 500 mile on mine, and just got through talking with the gm tech about it. it does make since what he said...
Old 04-24-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

theres an adjustable slave?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:22 AM
CARTEK Racing

I never had to break in my CARTEK clutches, I went from the shop, to the track. The break in was the first 4 or 5 6000rpm launches.

Which makes me wonder... if my car is a weekend car, and I went with another manufacturer's clutch, I have to drive it around for 500 miles before I can race it?

What about people who have trailered race cars? Do they have to drive around for 500 miles with a new clutch as well?

Honestly, I'm just wondering because I never had to break in a clutch before, and seeing as how the market is saturated with clutches, CARTEK is not really making their own anymore. So in the future, I can see having to get another brand clutch.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
I never had to break in my CARTEK clutches, I went from the shop, to the track. The break in was the first 4 or 5 6000rpm launches.

Which makes me wonder... if my car is a weekend car, and I went with another manufacturer's clutch, I have to drive it around for 500 miles before I can race it?

What about people who have trailered race cars? Do they have to drive around for 500 miles with a new clutch as well?

Honestly, I'm just wondering because I never had to break in a clutch before, and seeing as how the market is saturated with clutches, CARTEK is not really making their own anymore. So in the future, I can see having to get another brand clutch.
The guys out at Cartek did stop offering their clutches, I spoke with them the other day as they are installing a Monster in a C6.

We recommend a break in to make the driving experience pleasant and to allow the friction material to be perfectly seated. Some friction material does not require a break in, however, we still recommend it.

Keep in mind that some friction materials require a heat cycle process to "temper" the material. For instance, sintered iron has an average coefficient of friction of .41 when broken in, however, if you test it off the shelf without break in then it's in the high .2's to low .3's...

There is a reason behind the break in for us, I'm not just going to make it up for guys. Hell, I'd love nothing more than to have a customer put my clutch in and immediately take it to the track, it's just not realistic in every case.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:21 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
The guys out at Cartek did stop offering their clutches, I spoke with them the other day as they are installing a Monster in a C6.

We recommend a break in to make the driving experience pleasant and to allow the friction material to be perfectly seated. Some friction material does not require a break in, however, we still recommend it.

Keep in mind that some friction materials require a heat cycle process to "temper" the material. For instance, sintered iron has an average coefficient of friction of .41 when broken in, however, if you test it off the shelf without break in then it's in the high .2's to low .3's...

There is a reason behind the break in for us, I'm not just going to make it up for guys. Hell, I'd love nothing more than to have a customer put my clutch in and immediately take it to the track, it's just not realistic in every case.
I saw the wood crate and green pressure plate on the work bench the other day

I understand the need for a break in fully. If I would ever need it, I can drive my car to work every day and back, but that would only be about 200 miles per week. If I was the example, it would take two weeks to "break in" the clutch. That would suck! lol I guess I can take round trips to the shore for no reason.

But lets say, someone have an all out race car, that is not registered or insured, how will they break in the clutch?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

I saw the wood crate and green pressure plate on the work bench the other day

I understand the need for a break in fully. If I would ever need it, I can drive my car to work every day and back, but that would only be about 200 miles per week. If I was the example, it would take two weeks to "break in" the clutch. That would suck! lol I guess I can take round trips to the shore for no reason.

But lets say, someone have an all out race car, that is not registered or insured, how will they break in the clutch?
Understandable.

If it's an all out race car we send a clutch that doesn't require a break in.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which is more beneficial.
500 miles or
stop/go shifting
or 4-5-6 up and down hill shifting.

I understand after 500 miles your going to cover the bottom two, but if the bottom two are the real point then I'd make the 500 miles really count.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Understandable.

please send me this clutch next time!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
please send me this clutch next time!
LOL!

What did we send you?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
CARTEK Racing

Understandable.

Ah!

So such a thing does exist!

That is what I wanted to hear!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:22 AM
FormerVendor

Ah!

So such a thing does exist!

That is what I wanted to hear!
Yes it does.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Launching!

so what is the name of this magical clutch?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by nick1ta
so what is the name of this magical clutch?
Mine.

Shoot me a pm with your specs and we'll go from there.

Quick Reply: 500 mile break in, how important?