Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same ol' question but this time its for real, cam help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same ol' question but this time its for real, cam help!

K, just a refresher this stuff is for an 02 C5 6 speed, 3.42 gear, and is not a daily driver but will be crusing around town and up to Des Moines and lots of time at the local dragstrips around.

i finally pulled the trigger on a set of TEA 5.3L 1.5 ported heads with all the goodies, up to .650 max lift springs etc. Trick flow 7.4" pushrods, Harland sharp 1.7 roller rockers, with a GM MLS .053" head gasket and should be here Friday this week.
Now very soon i'm buying the 92mm FAST intake, LS2 90mm throttle body, 36lb FAST injectors, with High flow fuel rails etc and of course all the standard stuff that goes along with the head/cam swap like oil pump, timing chain etc.

Now the question is. the cam, i was always planning on going with the Speed Inc Comp cam S15 part number which is 231/237 .589/.595 with 112lsa - reason is because i'm seen this combo work in person on several "automatic" camaro's etc but when i ran these info buy Speed inc they suggested i go with the S16 which is 235/241 .621/.609 with 111 lsa and they said i'd have no problems with piston to valve clearance etc and would work better with my 6 speed car. I'm confused and don't know which to go with, the 1 thing i do know is i know all the really fast LS1 cars i'm seen out there do not have big and nasty cams in the cars as that S16 and i know there is no point to have a big nasty cam if it don't make the combo work well together, but i dunno what to think.
To me i feel that cam will set the power band really high in the rpm range and i don't think that is what i need is it?
Thanks, any help is appreciated! Patrick G help me get the right cam for my application!