Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost 4th gear, need help please (noob)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost 4th gear, need help please (noob)

First off id like to say hello, this is my first thread or post i believe... I did some searching but my head started spinning so i decided to ask directly with the problem i'm having.

One night i was out and about and i happen to get into a race, after i let off with the car in OD, it never made it to 4th gear.. keeping it in OD the trans would stay in 3rd gear but when i left off the gas the rpms would fall like it was in neutral, give it gas and it would rev up like it is in neutral than catch 3rd gear where it left off but like the converter was locked only durring acceleration, but like i said soon as you let of its like neutral.. I don't have a laptop to see if its commanding to shift or not. The car drives fine in evry other gear all i just keep it in 3rd and the converter will lock up and everything will act the way its suposed to.

As far as info on the car it is a 98 camaro, H/c, bolt ons, built trans (Bulit 2 years ago) never had any problems had a 3800 pro-torque nos converter, switched to a 4400 yank na converter a year ago with plans to go back to the 3800.. Car ran 11.48 na (never sprayed) and have had no problems what so ever..

Any info will be gratefull, thanks for your time in advance

Btw right now the car is ripped apart motor and trans are out of the car, i am putting another motor in and should have it back in by this weekend, but kinda would like to nip the trans problem before i reinstall.. thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well if you have the other 1-2-3 gears and lockup I would suspect the 4th servo or the 4th accumulator as and issue maybe.
The feeling like its in neutral while in 3rd gear and in overdrive position when you let off the throttle would be a normal feel.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-23-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you say for sure it's not just the lockup failing
or being held off? Misfires or a tranny slip code will
do that, though an immature slip code will clear on
next key-on.

One time I was driving "enthusiastically" and my
converter quit locking and the car was down on
power; turned out one of those POS "Thundervolt"
wires just slipped off the plug.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Teching In

it shouldn't drop all the way to idle and stay in 3rd gear while its suposed to be in 4th, unless i tap the brakes to release the converter.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Can you say for sure it's not just the lockup failing
or being held off? Misfires or a tranny slip code will
do that, though an immature slip code will clear on
next key-on.

One time I was driving "enthusiastically" and my
converter quit locking and the car was down on
power; turned out one of those POS "Thundervolt"
wires just slipped off the plug.
The lock up works fine when i keep it in 3rd and not even try to go to fourth. i have no check engine light and a friend of mine has my handheld scanner but wither way i can't scan it until i get the motor and trans back in the car. Runs strong no slips, still turns 11.4- 11.5 at the track just as soon as i cross the 1/4 i have to put in neutral because the rpms are up there...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by artic98
it shouldn't drop all the way to idle and stay in 3rd gear while its suposed to be in 4th, unless i tap the brakes to release the converter.
Actually in 4th gears your not running through the input sprag in OD position and there is more of a direct link so more of a braking drag affect.
When in 3rd gear in the OD position you are running through the input sprag and it works like a rachet freewheels one way and holds the other. If you pull down into the D3 POSITION you will see the engine braking feel is back since the overun clutch negates the sprag.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Okay an update, i opened up the cover on the side to check the fourth gear servo, nothing seemed wrong by visual, is there anyway to really check it to see if its bad? I didn't see any loose tephlon or anything?? I honestly have no clue, i guess i could take it to the person who tuned my car a while back and see if the computer is commanding it to shift in fourth... any imput would be helpful, all i have from everyone local is second should be lost too...recently thanks to frank for helping me out on where to look id be lost....
Old 05-02-2009, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by artic98
Okay an update, i opened up the cover on the side to check the fourth gear servo, nothing seemed wrong by visual, is there anyway to really check it to see if its bad? I didn't see any loose tephlon or anything?? I honestly have no clue, i guess i could take it to the person who tuned my car a while back and see if the computer is commanding it to shift in fourth... any imput would be helpful, all i have from everyone local is second should be lost too...recently thanks to frank for helping me out on where to look id be lost....
ive got this same thing going on. happened to me before and it was the 4th gear servo. It has happened to me again after a couple years and I put a new servo in AGAIN and it didnt seem to fix it this time. did you get yours fixed?