LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

starter headache?

Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starter headache?

So I finally got done my a4-m6 swap or so I thought, I went to start the car and everything seems good until you hit the starter and then the starter just whines and nothing happens, I looked under the car and can see the that teeth on the starter were engaged into the teeth on the flywheel, normally from what I can tell.
Ithen removed the starter and the gear retracts normally and there is no sign of damaged teeth etc. This is the same starter that was on the car when it was automatic, it worked just fine then, only thing I can think that is different is the overall diameter of the flywheel compared to the flexplate? is there some type of shimming that needs to occur?? if so how do I know what that is? Only other thing I can think of is that I replaced the battery and maybe its not fully charged? I put a voltmeter on it and its got 11.9, so I just threw a trickle charger on it for now to see if that changes anything.... Could this be a bad ground issue?

Anyone?
Old 04-23-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by multmigs
So I finally got done my a4-m6 swap or so I thought, I went to start the car and everything seems good until you hit the starter and then the starter just whines and nothing happens, I looked under the car and can see the that teeth on the starter were engaged into the teeth on the flywheel, normally from what I can tell.
Ithen removed the starter and the gear retracts normally and there is no sign of damaged teeth etc. This is the same starter that was on the car when it was automatic, it worked just fine then, only thing I can think that is different is the overall diameter of the flywheel compared to the flexplate? is there some type of shimming that needs to occur?? if so how do I know what that is? Only other thing I can think of is that I replaced the battery and maybe its not fully charged? I put a voltmeter on it and its got 11.9, so I just threw a trickle charger on it for now to see if that changes anything.... Could this be a bad ground issue?

Anyone?
Everytime I've done a T56 conversion, I've never had a problem with the starter engaging the flywheel. Did charging it help any?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: starter headache?