Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

great scratch remover!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default great scratch remover!

well i was trying to get tar/rubber off of my rear fender and just ran out of Bug and Tar so (idk why) but i decided to grab my little can of mothers mag and aluminum polish and to my suprise it cleaned the fender and didnt seem to wear into the paint. so then i decided to try it out on my rear bumper (had scratches all over when i bought it) so i figured oh well i cant hurt it any worse. well all the light scratches seem to disappear and the heavier ones shrunk in size and came clean and now the bumper looks almost new except for the deep scratches and chips. there is also no scratching evidence of the polish whatsoever. just thought i would share this with others who cant seem to get that discolored scratch clean. and i would highly recommend waxing after this!
Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

I wonder how this would work on black paint, any feedback?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

in the light there is no sign of the polish scratching so i guess it would work with black too but just to be safe i would try under the bumper or inside of the door (by the RPO codes) to make sure. i tried it on my CETA mod and it worked till i picked up a tiny piece of rock so make sure its clean!
Old 04-24-2009, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

i already got rid of all mine but ill try on my moms black car when she gets home and ill get a few pics.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

It makes sense to mix the two and get the results you did. Body shops use a similar product (all in one) for buffing after wetsand and before a finish polish coat. What you did was to take a 'filler polish' and mix it with an oil base lifter (tar, bugs, plastic scratches) most shops use.

Maquires and other companies makes a "buffing compound" that does the same thing though you use a cream color one for light colors and a gray color for darks. Its to "fill" while it cleans the surface with the appropriate tint. Using the aluminum polish on a dark car may leave some spots a bit lighter if you are using any type of electric polisher or don't get it buffed out entirely, I'd go easy on dark colors.

Quick Reply: great scratch remover!