LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Whats the difference between the two motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the difference between the two motors

whats the diference between t he caprice and camaro lt1 engine? i know the heads are different but are there any other difference besides the heads?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just the heads and cam to my knowledge. 96capricemgr can clarify I'm sure
Old 04-24-2009, 06:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The heads and cam and honestly for all the poopooing it the Caprice cam will make the same bolton peak power as the f-body stuff.

In 94 the b-body got the vented opti so it got the vented timing cover, and the b-body got 2 knock sensors, the balancer hub is a different length.

There is only one block casting, the rotating assembly is the same for the same year.

Let us know exactly what year engine you find and if it is for your 94 and we can give a detailed account, there are things that changed a little by YEAR more than model car.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its coming out of a 95 impala ss and im throwing it in the 94 z28 but im not sure if i have to change the bottom end. so my question is, would the bottom internals work with my car or do i have to change the crank or anything else in it to make it work such as clearance issues or balance (crankshaft)?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGRED 94
its coming out of a 95 impala ss and im throwing it in the 94 z28 but im not sure if i have to change the bottom end. so my question is, would the bottom internals work with my car or do i have to change the crank or anything else in it to make it work such as clearance issues or balance (crankshaft)?
AFAIK you have two options (if I'm missing something or mistaken, hopefully 96capricemgr will correct me):

1) Use the '95 Bbody bottom end, swap the timing set from the '94 Fbody or install a new timing set for a '94 Fbody, use the '94 Fbody timing cover, use the '94 Fbody crank hub, install a plug to replace the knock sensor on the '95 Bbody block.

2) Use the '95 Bbody bottom end, use the opti from the '95 impala, use the opti wire harness from the '95 impala, swap the '94 Fboby crank hub onto the '95 Bbody bottom end.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The bottomends are effectively the same, the biggest difference is a 94 LT1 used "pink" rods and the 95s used PM, both are pretty good and they weigh the same. Cranks and pistons are the same, as covered there is only one LT1/LT4 block. So you are worried about stuff that is all the same and don't seem to be understanding it is all PERIFERAL stuff you need to address.

The 94 f-body unvented opti setup sucks, at this point it would be silly to reuse it. Just use the timing cover and all from the b-body, all you will have to swap will be the damper hub and accessories.
I mention accessories because I ended up helping someone who blewup a b-body motor anf got an f-body one to replace it and got rid of the b-body stuff before installing the motor and ended up using the f-body setup and it was a royal PITA with the wrong setup in the car.

Quick Reply: Whats the difference between the two motors