Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

LT1 SS spoiler needed

Old 04-23-2009, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 SS spoiler needed

Looking for LT1 hatch spoiler for '96/'97 Camaro in SoCal area. Color not important, Repairable damaged unit considered.

Thanks

c
Old 04-23-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pm slowpoke310. im pretty sure he has 2 lying around
Old 04-24-2009, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the lead. I'm all over it!

c
Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Just curious, do you have a real LT1 SS?
Old 04-24-2009, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

No, I have a real '95 Firehawk but both of my LT1 Camaros are Z28. I wouldn't be pursuing this had not I run into a snag with the NHRA Tech Officials at last weekend's Sportsnationals event in Fontana. A Camaro Stock Eliminator car that I recently acquired came with an SS hood. The inspectors told me to either replace the hood with a regular hood or find an SS spoiler. Since, without the hood the car stands out just about like a polar bear in an Alaskan snowstorm, it seems worth the effort to find the spoiler make the car look a little different than all the others.

c
Old 04-25-2009, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cnorton
No, I have a real '95 Firehawk but both of my LT1 Camaros are Z28. I wouldn't be pursuing this had not I run into a snag with the NHRA Tech Officials at last weekend's Sportsnationals event in Fontana. A Camaro Stock Eliminator car that I recently acquired came with an SS hood. The inspectors told me to either replace the hood with a regular hood or find an SS spoiler. Since, without the hood the car stands out just about like a polar bear in an Alaskan snowstorm, it seems worth the effort to find the spoiler make the car look a little different than all the others.

c
just wondering, what inspectors ar you referring to?
why do they care or have a say so on what options you have on your car?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

NHRA Stock Eliminator is a different world and only makes sense to those of us who have been in the game for awhile. The whole system is based on a set of allowable modifications to production cars in order to be considered "Stock." For example, headers are legal but there are strict guidelines for allowable internal changes in the engine. At specified events, contestants may be selected (on a random basis) to remove a cylinder head, on the spot, so that critical components can be verified.

Some of the requirements are carried over to the body of the car as well as the power train. A 1968 Camaro is not allowed to use the ZL2 Special Ducted Hood (commonly referred to as a "cowl induction hood" or "ram-air hood" because it was available only on a 1969 Camaro even though it is a bolt-on item.

In the case of 4th generation cars, similar requirements are placed on the SS Camaro. The SS hood is allowed only if all the SS components for the specific year are on the car. You know and I know that the effect of an SS hood on the performance of an LT1 car is negligible but I like the look of the car with the hood. When I acquired it a few months ago, it had the hood but not the spoiler. The previous owners had run if for two years that way with no comment from tech inspectors but, as soon as I showed up with it, qualified #8, and then reached the semi-finals in eliminations, the spoiler became an issue. That's what we call "politics." As a 40+ year player in Stock Eliminator I wasn't shocked when the issue of the spoiler was brought up. I knew the rule. I was, however, somewhat taken aback by the statement that I also had to install all the "SS" emblems as well. That's a little over the top in my opinion but it's their ball and bat and they're the umpires.

Thanks for reading this rather long explanation. That's NHRA and that's Stock Eliminator. It's certainly not for everyone but I'll probably stay with it as long as I can climb in and out of the car.

c

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 SS spoiler needed