Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swollen Coolant Hose, WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swollen Coolant Hose, WTF?

I ripped my car a little bit on some back roads behind my place, so when I got home I opened the hood to let it cool off. I immediately noticed that the hose that goes from the radiator to the water pump was swollen up! I drove the car to my buddy's and babied it the whole way fearing that it was gonna pop and spew coolant all over my engine bay .

I'm not sure what would cause this? The hose is extremely soft and plyable when the car is cool, but the bottom hose is not which leads me to believe its just the hose itself, not something like a clog. Here's some pics I snapped:

Anywho, is this just standard rubber hose or a specific part I'll need to get from the dealer or something? Also, should I just drain the coolant and refill when I replace this or should I get it flushed?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Launching!

It was just deteriorated man, not a good thing but normal maintanence. You should check those kinda things more regularly ya know!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you do know you are not supposed to stroke the hose to get it to go on.....looks like its about to bust a nut.

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Well ****. I opened the radiator cap this morning and the inside of my radiator looked like sewage. I've been checking the levels in the radiator ever since I did my power steering pump a week ago and it looked fine but when I looked this morning, it was a milky tan color. My guess is that the power steering cooler let go and is getting power steering fluid into the coolant and vice versa (the power steering fluid is now a milky pinkish color, I used ATF in the power steering system as per the reccomendation of the power steering shop that rebuilt my pump). My car has 120k on it.

So you think the power steering cooler is the culprit? All roads are leading to it for me except the fact that the coolant was brownish and ATF comes out of the bottle red. I don't think its oil though, since the dipstick looks normal.

How much is a replacement cooler?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

check your oil as well
Old 04-24-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

ATF will eat through any rubber hose that isnt specific to trans, I would say that bubble is ATF related. Do you know how long you're coolant has looked like that?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Oil looks just fine, and this honestly happened over a couple days. The last time I drove the car before the incident was tuesday and I checked it before then. I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna put an external cooler on there and get a new coolant crossover (and of course flush both systems). Should do the trick.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-24-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could always install some silicone samco hoses... they aren't cheap but look nice and are better quality...

Quick Reply: Swollen Coolant Hose, WTF?