Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

replacing clutch with OE parts?? Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question replacing clutch with OE parts?? Help

i need to replace the factory Clutch in my car. 1999 LS1. It is completely factory and I want to put an original clutch back in it.(yes I know this may sound crazy but it is what I wanna do lol) I found the parts I think I need on gmpartsdirect.com but I am not sure of what exactly I need....can anyone give me any advice or part numbers or tell me if these parts are what I need??

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

I'm looking @ disc, flywheel, pilot bearing and release bearing. Does this sound like everything needed? the dealership told me that the flywheel was sold as one piece and it included the clutch!?! but it is listed separately here. Any help would be great!!! Thanks
Old 04-25-2009, 07:32 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Contact Scoggin Dickey and they'll set you up with what you need

They are a sponsor on here

sdpc2000.com
Old 04-26-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

When i bought my LS6 Clutch, it came with the flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate. When looking at the LS7 Clutch, you need an LS2 Flywheel, with the LS7 clutch disc, and pressure plate. Dont know if that helps any.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys.....so does anyone know if the LS1 clutch is included with the flywheel or are they sold separately? I want to go ahead and order the parts because well the car is down but i'm afraid if I order a flyweel and it comes with the clutch, they will not let me return the clutch that I won't need.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

The LS2/LS7 kit is by far the best OEM clutch you can put in there.

The new stock replacement for your car will be the Corvette C5 Z06 LS6 clutch. This is not exact but the closest thing to exact. It has a little more pressure than your stock clutch ever had.

You may need to upgrade to the later improved OEM hydraulics or you might find that any clutch you pick will not work properly.

Don't skimp, you want to do a complete swap with everything or you will be doing it again and paying twice as much in the long run.

Last edited by bearcatt; 04-26-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bearcatt
The LS2/LS7 kit is by far the best OEM clutch you can put in there.

The new stock replacement for your car will be the Corvette C5 Z06 LS6 clutch. This is not exact but the closest thing to exact. It has a little more pressure than your stock clutch ever had.

You may need to upgrade to the later improved OEM hydraulics or you might find that any clutch you pick will not work properly.

Don't skimp, you want to do a complete swap with everything or you will be doing it again and paying twice as much in the long run.

Come to think of it, the LS1 clutch may have been replaced by the LS6 clutch. Our 02 WS.6 came stock with the LS6.

Last time i checked, the LS2 Flywheel/LS7 Clutch is actually cheaper and better than the LS6 clutch kit.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Come to think of it, the LS1 clutch may have been replaced by the LS6 clutch. Our 02 WS.6 came stock with the LS6.
Yep, it was.

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Last time i checked, the LS2 Flywheel/LS7 Clutch is actually cheaper and better than the LS6 clutch kit.
Yes they are cheaper and better. They're great, I love mine.