Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Painting wheels....teach me how.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Painting wheels....teach me how.

I have a set of stock 10 spoke SS wheels that I am going to paint flat black (race wheels). I HAD a buddy that was going to help me until he did a few "not so buddy" things. So now I am left in the dark about how to do this. I know I have to sand them but I dont know what grit to use. And should I prime them before I paint them? Any particular brand of paint I should use? I will use these wheels pretty much for race only use so I am not concerned about a great looking set of wheels.

A blow by blow would really help me out on this.

TIA
Old 10-29-2003, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was gonna paint these, I would start sanding with some 220 grit and work my way up to 600, clean the wheels off completely, wash and allow to dry, give one coat of primer kinda thick, try not get in a hurry or you'll sag the paint. I would next wet sand(600) the primer and try and smooth it out primer once more, sand again and wash once again, now you're ready for paint apply 1-2 coats of paint then I would clear coat it. however If these were my wheels, I would powder coat, but it's your world holmes, I'm just living in it. maybe someone else will chime in. good luck let us ee pics when you're done.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2slowLT1
If I was gonna paint these, I would start sanding with some 220 grit and work my way up to 600, clean the wheels off completely, wash and allow to dry, give one coat of primer kinda thick, try not get in a hurry or you'll sag the paint. I would next wet sand(600) the primer and try and smooth it out primer once more, sand again and wash once again, now you're ready for paint apply 1-2 coats of paint then I would clear coat it. however If these were my wheels, I would powder coat, but it's your world holmes, I'm just living in it. maybe someone else will chime in. good luck let us ee pics when you're done.

Damn, man, if you weren't all the way across the country I'd beadblast them for you at work

anyway, Eastwood (www.eastwoodco.com) has all kinds of stuff for the job including the sanding materials, primer, paint, and clear coat (should you choose to do that).
Old 10-30-2003, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont even want to clear coat these things. That way if they chip I can just hit them with the rattle can. Thanks for the input. I'll get started soon.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:29 AM
Restricted User

Hell, get some green 3M pads, or the Rust Red ones, a bucket of water, first dry scuff them, then wet. Wash with a citrus cleaner, like 409. Rinse clean, dry. light coat of primer, dry it and paint it. Use Krylon from WalMart, works great, quick drying too. Recoat a few times, depending on how much protection you want, after its all done spraying, let it set overnight and then for a day preferably in the sun. Go over it all with a wet lint free rag and some polish or ultra light rubbing compound, smoothes it out which will reduce chipping. Did a set of drag wheels, flat black, looks sinister.

Painted my rollbar this way, and several friends, very durable, of course the harness buckle beats the crap out of it, and it will scratch, but its an easy cover up if needed. Pics of rollabr in link...matter of fact I got image station from you NataSS.

Quick Reply: Painting wheels....teach me how.