Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished Jet Hot LTs, Catted Y, & Poly MM Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Finished Jet Hot LTs, Catted Y, & Poly MM Install

Like the title says, moments ago I buttoned up my Header/Motor Mount Install. I went with Jet Hot LTs w/emissions and Catted Y-Pipe, matched to my previously installed SLP Loudmouth Catback.

With the exhaust off, I went ahead and installed a set of Prothane Poly Motor Mounts. Those should take care of any flex that would have allowed the new Y-pipe to slam against the floorpan.

Also gave the bird a tune up and upgraded to some MSD Plug Wires and NGK TR55GP Plugs. I tell you what, getting the #8 plug wire connected to the coil pack is a ******* bitch! There is just no room to get your hand back there. I think when we do my brother's SS I'll attach the wire to the coil before reinstalling the coil bracket to the valve cover and then fight getting it on the plug from underneath.

I know you're all waiting to hear what it sounds like, but you'll have to be patient for just a little while longer. I went to get some video and discovered the battery is dead on the camera. I'm charging it as I type this and should have a video uploaded to youtube sometime this evening. I'll be sure to update this thread with a link.

For now, all I can say is this: IT IS LOUD. Here is the car before the install:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCzti1YCjwU

I'll post up ASAP.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles on your car? Im going to be getting some LTs pretty soon, my camaro has 31k miles on it do I need to change the motor mounts? Im going with ARH.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have just under 50k on my car. The reason I went ahead and did the motor mounts was to help eliminate the chance of the exhaust hitting the bottom of the car when the motor torques. Plus it is WAY EASIER with the exhaust off the car. And I now have one less thing marked off the checklist of bolt ons.

From what I've read on here about American Racing Headers, I'd say thats the way to go. I wasn't yet convinced on them when I found a good deal on these Jet Hots, so I went with them. I'm sure I'll eventually have to replace them and when I do I'll go ARH. Guess I should start saving my pennies now. $Cha-ching$
Old 04-26-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like you had fun today also. My wife and I just finished the header ory install also. Not really a fun job to do. But atleast it's done now.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1gt2nv
Sounds like you had fun today also. My wife and I just finished the header ory install also. Not really a fun job to do. But atleast it's done now.
Your wife and you. Thats awesome! I had to ask the fiance to help me out a couple of times. She had to hold the motor in place as I slowly lowered it down onto the pedestal. That WAS fun. But as for the majority of the job, I would say I definitely had fun. But, I agree, I'm glad its done.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, uploading the damn video took longer than the freakin' install. Kidding of course. Anyways, here it is. Have a listen and decide for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZsfNfO1QI0
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Launching!

Sounds good man, cant wait to do mines. Love the before and after video that you did, what a difference!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camarosam22
Sounds good man, cant wait to do mines. Love the before and after video that you did, what a difference!
Thanks alot. Like you said, what a difference. I can't wait to drive it.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Sweet deal man. Sounds good. Just need a cam now!

I first did my car with the same thing except the LM2. Helps a bit on rasp. Now running Magnaflow and no cats just because it was too darn loud.

(Still got the LM2 and plan on some day reinstalling it)
Old 04-27-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro Rick
Sweet deal man. Sounds good. Just need a cam now!

I first did my car with the same thing except the LM2. Helps a bit on rasp. Now running Magnaflow and no cats just because it was too darn loud.

(Still got the LM2 and plan on some day reinstalling it)
Thanks for the compliment. The cam will have to wait for a little while, but it is definitely on the list. I probably better upgrade my intake first. All in good time.

We did a friends 98 Z28 with the same Magnaflow/ORY setup, right before doing mine. It sounds nice. A little raspy, but I think if we modify the merge on the Y-Pipe we can eliminate some of that.

Right now I'm a little nervous. I have yet to drive my car with the new setup (shitty weather) and I hope I can live with the volume going down the road. Its definitely louder than before.

Good call on saving the LM2. I'm sure it will come in handy someday in the future. Again thanks for the kind words.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

We finally had some nice weather here in SouthEastern Iowa and I was able to test drive my bird with the new headers and y-pipe.

Its seems like 90% of what I hear about the Loudmouth with Longtubes setup is, "it is SOOO LOUD!" "The drone is just terrible." All this talk made me think that my car was going to be unbearably loud and no longer any fun to drive, but that is not the case at all. Yes my car is louder than before, but on a 2 lane highway, cruising at 60mph/2000RPM in 5th gear, it is just fine. I can talk and hear myself. I can listen to the radio without having to blow my speakers. I will give you this. I can't ever NOT hear my exhaust (unless I'm off the pedal), but at it's quietest it is at reasonable volume. I did go with the Catted Y, so maybe that is what saved me from the unrelenting Hell that is LT's/LM Combo. But to all those that compare this setup to that of an "old farm truck"...you must have been on one kick *** farm to hear a truck that sounds like this. (More than likely you've never actually been on a farm at all, but I'll leave that part out.)

To anybody that has doubts about Loudmouth with LT's I say, go for it. It is loud, but it is awesome.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mumbles
We finally had some nice weather here in SouthEastern Iowa and I was able to test drive my bird with the new headers and y-pipe.

Its seems like 90% of what I hear about the Loudmouth with Longtubes setup is, "it is SOOO LOUD!" "The drone is just terrible." All this talk made me think that my car was going to be unbearably loud and no longer any fun to drive, but that is not the case at all. Yes my car is louder than before, but on a 2 lane highway, cruising at 60mph/2000RPM in 5th gear, it is just fine. I can talk and hear myself. I can listen to the radio without having to blow my speakers. I will give you this. I can't ever NOT hear my exhaust (unless I'm off the pedal), but at it's quietest it is at reasonable volume. I did go with the Catted Y, so maybe that is what saved me from the unrelenting Hell that is LT's/LM Combo. But to all those that compare this setup to that of an "old farm truck"...you must have been on one kick *** farm to hear a truck that sounds like this. (More than likely you've never actually been on a farm at all, but I'll leave that part out.)

To anybody that has doubts about Loudmouth with LT's I say, go for it. It is loud, but it is awesome.
After you did the install did the poly mounts help? I am doing them right now. I did headers/lm1 about 2 months ago and ypipe banging floor issues so now i am doing the motor mounts what a bitch now.

and yes the setup is LOUD but i like it
Old 05-04-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02Sweet
After you did the install did the poly mounts help? I am doing them right now. I did headers/lm1 about 2 months ago and ypipe banging floor issues so now i am doing the motor mounts what a bitch now.

and yes the setup is LOUD but i like it
I didn't have any issues with the factory Y-pipe hitting the floor. I didn't want any issues after the header/Catted Y install. So with the factory exhaust outta the way I installed the Polys. I didn't notice any banging the one time I've gotten to drive the car since completing the install. So I would say they're doing their job pretty well. Hope that helps. Good to hear from another Longtube/Loudmouth Fan too. Good luck with your Poly MM Install.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:01 AM
On The Tree

I didn't have any issues with the factory Y-pipe hitting the floor. I didn't want any issues after the header/Catted Y install. So with the factory exhaust outta the way I installed the Polys. I didn't notice any banging the one time I've gotten to drive the car since completing the install. So I would say they're doing their job pretty well. Hope that helps. Good to hear from another Longtube/Loudmouth Fan too. Good luck with your Poly MM Install.
Yeah I should have installed them when i did the headers I have the d/s header totally off right now. and I like my lm1 lt setup. I might change it for tds down the future though
Old 05-05-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I should have installed them when i did the headers I have the d/s header totally off right now. and I like my lm1 lt setup. I might change it for tds down the future though
Before doing my car, a friend and I were in the middle of his Complete Exhaust Install when I discovered we should do the Poly's at the same time. We had the headers on and the engine bay put back together. We had even started it to hear what open headers sound like on an LSx car. (******' LOUD!) We attempted, sucessfully, to remove the factory mounts without removing the headers. But during disassembly, we twisted off a clamshell bolt in the block and we had to remove the drivers header to make space to get that ****** out. It turned out just fine, but it is definitely easier to do the mounts with the manifolds/headers outta the way. Good luck with your install. It can definitely be done with the passenger header in place. =-)
Old 05-07-2009, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Before doing my car, a friend and I were in the middle of his Complete Exhaust Install when I discovered we should do the Poly's at the same time. We had the headers on and the engine bay put back together. We had even started it to hear what open headers sound like on an LSx car. (******' LOUD!) We attempted, sucessfully, to remove the factory mounts without removing the headers. But during disassembly, we twisted off a clamshell bolt in the block and we had to remove the drivers header to make space to get that ****** out. It turned out just fine, but it is definitely easier to do the mounts with the manifolds/headers outta the way. Good luck with your install. It can definitely be done with the passenger header in place. =-)
I finished mine on tuesday. Your right i did not have to remove the p/s header but the d/s i took all the way out to make my life easier. Now the ypipe doesn't bang on the floor. But I really can't get on it b/c it has been raining since I got them in and then paint shop tonight
Old 05-07-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

which motor mounts did you buy? Just curious. Im about to start my headers soon and have been contemplating doing this! Thanks.

Mike
Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I installed a set of black Prothane Poly Motor Mounts that I found @ byunspeed.com for $49.95. Installed a red set on my buddy's 98 Z28 and about to do the same to my brother's 35th Ann. SS. Here is a link to the mounts:

http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...oducts_id=4924

That is the best price I've found for them. Plus, if you spend $100.00 Shipping is free. So if you need some header install hardware you may wanna find it there as well and save a little cash.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I finished mine on tuesday. Your right i did not have to remove the p/s header but the d/s i took all the way out to make my life easier. Now the ypipe doesn't bang on the floor. But I really can't get on it b/c it has been raining since I got them in and then paint shop tonight
Y-pipe not banging. **** yeah man! Good job. The install can be a bitch at times, but now I'm betting you're glad you took the time to do it, aren't you? Like I said, good job. Now bring on the next mod!! LOL
Old 05-08-2009, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds pretty good man. Not as loud or raspy as mine. I shoulda done poly mounts when I was doing it, but cash was tight. Seems like they're working out pretty well for you.

Quick Reply: Finished Jet Hot LTs, Catted Y, & Poly MM Install