Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New-ish 6.0L review, old motor carnage pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New-ish 6.0L review, old motor carnage pics

Well, due to time constraints, my hand was forced to go with a iron 6.0L (LQ9) instead of anything fancy. The bottom end has around 12 thousand miles on her, and the top end/cam was off of the old TSP set up (in my sig).

The old set up took a dump in my drive way last week. The consensus seems to be a hydrolock issue due to a leaky head gasket (more than likely my fault when I assembled the top end, don't make it any less painfull). It sat for a couple days then went boom when I attempted to move it out of the driveway. Here are some carnage pics....

It only had 5k miles on her and a tad bit longer than a year's life span. It looks like I had a ring sealing issue *notice the amount of oil covering the piston* It was going through about a quart every thousand miles, roughly, and all of the pistons looked as such. The pistons also had significant scuffing along the sides (I believe all of the inner sides). I will get pics up once the shop emails them to me. Not sure what that was about.... I never sprayed or really raced it. Got on it from a roll every now and again, but no track time or anything. I broke it in as per TSP, used the correct type of oil. What do you guys think?

Anyway, thew some ARP rod bolts on the LQ9 and slapped her in. I am pleased with the new set up. Hopefully it will last a little longer than the previous... Torque feels amazing and still has enough top end power to hang with the old set up. Here is a comparison of the old set up and new....

old

New

Overall drivability is amazing! Very pleased with the results, considering how "budget" of a motor it really is. Anyone on the fence about going this route to save a little bit of slosh, I say go for it. I don't even notice the weight difference. The torque cuve of the new is almost identical to the old, except peeks a little earlier and higher than the previous.

All in all, I'm just gratefull to be back on the road again!! Sorry for the long wind. MODS, feel free to move if this isn't in the correct section, its got a little of everything....
Old 04-27-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

What are the mods to the LQ9?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:50 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Stock bottom end with the top end in his sig. Congrats on getting it running again.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Totally nice man. nothing wrong with the iron block. This time if it hydrolocks, it'll probably just break a rod and not the block. (too soon?) Now boost the crap out of it!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by quickie70
Totally nice man. nothing wrong with the iron block. This time if it hydrolocks, it'll probably just break a rod and not the block. (too soon?) Now boost the crap out of it!
haha, a little too soon. You should see how well the rod held up... It was BARELY warped. I was impressed. If the block would have held together I'm sure it would'a kept thump'n away.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ Stock bottom end with the top end in his sig. Congrats on getting it running again.
Thanks brother