LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Rebuilt (Emissions ?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LT1 Rebuilt (Emissions ?)

I just got my LT1 rebuilt hardcore, well maybe not hardcore, but it is a solid motor. All forged internals, heads are ported and polished, the whole nine yards. Here is my question. I need to pass emissions. The car isn't old enough to register as an antique and I haven't found someone I can just slide a couple of bucks to "sign off" the car. SO it appears I must play by the rules.

The engine technically is a 355 now with the overbore but I doubt this makes a difference. CR is between 10.7 and 10.8. This motor was bone stock before I did it so it still had EGR, AIR, CAT. I want to run some good LT headers but am wondering is it really worth the extra bucks to get emissions compliant ones or can I get away with just regular headers. I am trying to decongest the engine bay and already plan on doing an A/C delete. My goal is to run the least amount of emissions equipment and still pass the ol' wand test.

Thanks guys!

It's a 1994 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GT (to be specific) LT1 with the M6.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
I just got my LT1 rebuilt hardcore, well maybe not hardcore, but it is a solid motor. All forged internals, heads are ported and polished, the whole nine yards. Here is my question. I need to pass emissions. The car isn't old enough to register as an antique and I haven't found someone I can just slide a couple of bucks to "sign off" the car. SO it appears I must play by the rules.

The engine technically is a 355 now with the overbore but I doubt this makes a difference. CR is between 10.7 and 10.8. This motor was bone stock before I did it so it still had EGR, AIR, CAT. I want to run some good LT headers but am wondering is it really worth the extra bucks to get emissions compliant ones or can I get away with just regular headers. I am trying to decongest the engine bay and already plan on doing an A/C delete. My goal is to run the least amount of emissions equipment and still pass the ol' wand test.

Thanks guys!

It's a 1994 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GT (to be specific) LT1 with the M6.
Your cam choice is going to be a huge factor into whether or not you pass emissions.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

X2 probably the biggest factor!