Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end building 101 (10 bolt / 8.8)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 11:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking Rear end building 101 (10 bolt / 8.8)

Let's say I was going to have a friend help me to do a 8.8 build using the 10 bolt axle tubes with TCS. What would be required?

Donor 10 bolt rear with TCS option
8.8 housing and pumpkin (Any certain year?)
Gear set
Posi or limited slip unit
Gear instal kit (gaskets, bearings, seals, shims, ect.)
Axles
Rear cover

Am I missing anything?
Would there be any specifics that I would need or stay away from?
Old 10-30-2003, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to know as well. I plan on having a local shop do the same potentially next year.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What are your plans to use the torque arm??You have to make an adapted who can hold high performance!!!
I like to do the same has you..Keep me update with your plans i have a couple of people who chassis builder who can help us i ideas.My email is fastz28tpi@yahoo.com.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you better have a jig built to match the 7.5 axle (i.e. the TQ arm mount, axles, yoke, etc) if u don't then ur gonna have a big paper weight. that's one problem with building a 8.8 or 9". also u need to know how much u need to cut off the stock axle tubes. it's more complicated than u think so I hope however does it knows what they are doing. just make sure everything is alligned and the geometry is correct.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

if u go with a 8.8 pumpkin u can use ALL ford parts except the axles. use Ford Motorsport stuff and a GOOD posi.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

This is the route I intended to go with also. I have my stock 10 bolt that broke off 3 teeth at the spring break shootout 2003 (got 3rd in 11.00 index) and I have a FREE(!) 8.8 housing. The 8.8 doesn't have any guts but that's okay. Ford parts are plentiful and cheap, even when new. I talked to that hombre that makes the boltin 8.8's and it seems like a great deal to be sure. From briefly talking to him, it appears that he just wants the 'legs' off the 10 bolt , but he wanted everything from the 8.8 (I suppose so *we* don't accidently cut off too much of the Fords legs). The axle tube diameters are noticeably different with the Ford being the larger of the two. From that guys pictures of the 8.8 for Fbodys portrays, it appears he cuts off the Fords legs about 3 or 4 inches from the 8.8 pumpkin and then simply slides the 10 bolts legs inside the ford legs stubs then welds around the perimeter of the joint. As the other poster mentioned, it would be crucial to set up a jig that would support everything in the proper position whilst the welding is being performed. The gentlemans picture further depicts the torque arm mount as bracketry welded onto the drivers side stub of the ford leg.
Looks like it might be time to get out the hacksaw and start getting the parts together. I have access to a TIG welder but I don't think that's what is required for this type of metal. I'll have to read up on it. If anyone here would like to see the pictures of the 'bolt in 8.8' I'm referencing, just email or PM me and I'll provide a link. Since the SBSO 2003, I've been hobbling along with a friends generously provided (pro bono) 2.73 stocker from his Fbody. I have to get something strong going for the SBSO 2004! I talked to a gentleman at a local speedshop that said the custom axles (ford spline, Fbody bolt pattern, custom length) would be $220ish for the pair.
If/when I get this going, I'll post pictures and writeups and costs, etc to you all.
The thing that would be missing in this setup that the 'bolt-in 8.8' guy provides is the stockers ABS reluctor. This applies to the LT1 guys only I would suppose since I know, some if not all, the LS1 boys have reluctors at the axle flanges.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

TIG welder would be the best type of welder to use, that's what "he" uses. "he" told me it's the strongest type of weld for this use.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think is safer to let the guy who build the 8.8 in TX do the job.He had the expertise in the field.Maybe experiment can be more expensive in the long run.Around $1700 is a great deal.My .02 cents.

Quick Reply: Rear end building 101 (10 bolt / 8.8)