LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 cam & timing set in a GM Goodwrench SBC???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Lt1 cam & timing set in a GM Goodwrench SBC???

My buddy has a 3rd Gen Camaro that has an older style GM Goodwrench crate engine SBC in it. It's a flat tappet hydraulic motor. Carb, mechanical pump and dist. No spider tray and has no cam retaining plate.
He wanted one of my spare cams that I had (CC503) for his engine. Figured it would be a direct swap...
Well after trying to install the new double roller timing set, I discovered that the bolt patter of the LT1 cam doesn't match the SBC timing gear (the grouping is tigher on the LT1 cam). Furthermore, the LT1 cam face is not flat, it has a step to it.
My first thoughts are to just use a stock LT1 timing set.

Does anyone know if this cam will work with the Stock LT1 cam gear will work in this motor (I know it has the teeth in the back for the water pump drive)?
Does the fact that the motor has no cam retaining plate matter?
Does he need a cam made for a SBC?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the dist. gear the same on the cams or is it a different pattern? I would say that he needs a different SBC cam since it has the different face that I do not think he can fit behind his factory cover.

SWS
Old 04-27-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by seawalkersee
Is the dist. gear the same on the cams or is it a different pattern? I would say that he needs a different SBC cam since it has the different face that I do not think he can fit behind his factory cover.

SWS
It's the same distributor gear AFAIK.
The cam gear just bolts onto the cam and that's it. I don't think there will be a problem with fitting the LT1 cam gear inside the timing cover, I am just worried that the teeth on the back portion of the LT1 cam gear will rub on the block.

Quick Reply: Lt1 cam & timing set in a GM Goodwrench SBC???