LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

This squeak rises and falls with rpm, seems like its comming from front of motor?? ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This squeak rises and falls with rpm, seems like its comming from front of motor?? ?

hey guys,
I have this squeak that rises and falls with rpm coming from the front of my motor, I have a feeling it might be the serpentine belt, but im not sure... maybe an accessory drive? ( not an exhaust leak )

do you guys have any experience with this... this is the first time i've ever encountered it.

thanks !
Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
hey guys,
I have this squeak that rises and falls with rpm coming from the front of my motor, I have a feeling it might be the serpentine belt, but im not sure... maybe an accessory drive? ( not an exhaust leak )

do you guys have any experience with this... this is the first time i've ever encountered it.

thanks !
if you have a video of the noise it would be alot easier to try and help you locate your problem
Old 04-28-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Yea, vid would help for sure. Could also be a bearing in the alternator or something as well. Could be a few things, but belt seems most likely.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

or the tensioner/tensioner pully
Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Easy test - remove your belt and run the car...if the noise disappears, you know it's something in your acc drive or the belt itself.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Launching!

My car had the same trouble....it was driving me nuts for a long time. I little chirping squeak at an idle, and it would increase with engine speed. I thought it was one of the accessories, and replaced the tensioner a couple times, thinking it was that. While trying to pinpoint the noise the other day, I was under the car while it was running, and noticed my harmonic balancer looked like it was wobbling. I shut off the engine and looked at it, and the rubber between the inner and outer parts of the balancer was falling apart, and missing in a couple places. The face of the outer section of the balancer was recessed on one side, and protruding on the other side (compared to the face of the inner section. It wasn't nice and flush like it should be. I got a new harmonic balancer from Autozone, and for the first time in a long time....the car has no squeak anymore!!!!

Quick Reply: This squeak rises and falls with rpm, seems like its comming from front of motor?? ?